Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello I am new to this all of it asking for help computers ect .. I have just found my love is ADHD and tho I saw the signs it is still hard . I have read alot and still not all that I feel I need to on the subject can another single mom give me some advice on the place to look ?

I am a stable free spirit with a great relationship with my daughter ,6, for all her life. I will do all I can for us as a whole to be all that we are able and no see that turning to the DR.S and a label maybe best yet know there is others out there and do not want to do this alone . Thaank You .....

Answer Question

Asked by kdcsmom at 2:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • your daughter needs to see a doctor and get a diagnosis. you don't have to put her on medication, but working with the doctor will help you find treatment that is best for your family. you can also network with other parents in your area, and find out what other families are doing to help their kids cope with ADHA. Turning to a doctor for help and support makes you a good mom, not a bad mom! he or she can help you find a developmental specialist, and can also help you with funding options to help your little girl. if you don't like the answers you get from the doctor, move on to the next one. there is a doctor out there somewhere who will love your child and respect your wishes for her care and development.

    Answer by bestmommyeber at 7:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • I have two children with ADHD. It is very difficult to deal with. I had to finally break down and take them to the doctors. We tried several medications, but we finally have them worked out. It is like my children are happy again. And I even enjoy being around them. My son even told me he loved me for taking him to the doctor and getting him some medicine that makes him feel better. Children with ADHD don't like to feel the way they do. I even told the doctors that I do not want my children to be like zombies. The doctors told me that if ADHD is not treated it can cause early alzheimer disease and other problems.

    Answer by mshouk79 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • yes it is up to you weather to medicate your child. But the doctor can give you other information that is helpful and you really need to know it. my son has adhd and we finally went with medicine for him and after trying a lot of different kinds we found the right one for him. but the doctors were very helpful and willing to work with us to try to do it without meds. But it just got to the point that he needed it. And he is so much better with the right one.

    Answer by bellabuddybug at 8:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

  • No offense to anyone! I don't believe in medicating children for disorders or attention. There are so many other resources out there that poeple don't look into. This is not just a matter of oppinion. My oldest son has many disorders and some would say ADD, although i don't believe in that. I have never put him on medication and never will. We take him to occupational therepy twice a week. It is not just for motor skills like most believe. It has helped him so much. The techniques that we have learned have helped him a great deal and at home. To the point that his Dr.'s believe he has outgrown his ADD. But the most and first important thing is getting him the PROPER diagnosis. They may say ADD and it could be something else. Look into all the resources and get your second oppinions to make sure.

    Answer by soldierswifeof4 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.