If Pit Bulls attack how should they be punished?

I mean if a person attacks another person that violently they are punished. How do you think pit bulls should be punished? What about a repeat offender.

Any breed really, but the controversy always seems to surround pitties. That is why I am using them as the example.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pets

• Mistik - I cannot believe you said "any breed can behave badly at times, just like black people." How incredibly racist and pathetic.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• well 99% of the time the dog gets put down because people are stupid, be a responsible owner and this won't happen AND don't be dumb enough to annoy a dog, regardless of what breed it is, most the time dogs attack because of stupid humans
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• And mistik, you're an IDIOT.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Mistik75, what the hell? As a black person I have to say that I am offended by your comment, and even if I wasn't black I still would be pissed. What does this question have to do with black people? In my opinion that was an insenuation that all pit bulls that are aggressive are raised by black people who raise them to be mean and violent, shame on you!

I think that if a dog is protecting its family that he should not be put down because he might have spared that family from getting seriously hurt, but if a dog bites a person for no good reason, then yes, it should be put down.
    browneyes27

Answer by browneyes27 at 10:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Any dog that attacks a human being (especially a child) needs to be put down as a rule, and exceptions made for extenuating circumstances. Too many kids are seriously hurt - it's not always the dogs fault, but once they are trained (or not trained at all) to behave in a certain way they can't be trusted. I feel bad for the dogs, I do, but kids have to come first.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If any dog attacks a person, I think it should depend on the situation. If it's in defense of something happening, then I think that should be a consideration. A man was coming at me with bad intentions and our German Shepherd jumped out and bit him on the back of the leg, he only bruised him, and didn't break the skin.... The man went down, and was apologizing before he hit the ground. I felt that our dog was doing his job, he prevented something bad from happening to me...

If a dog attacks an innocent person, adult or child, then it should be put down.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:06 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• even a domesticated cat or dog still has wild instincts. any animal at any given time can "snap" and attack, and once they do i personally don't believe they can be trusted or 'trained' to never do it again. if a dog is attacking an intruder in my home though, that's different. but if a dog all of the sudden decides to try to mall me for no reason, then yea, he should be put down.

what irritates me though is when wild animals attack, and they get put down. like the show "human prey" on animal planet the other night, the story of the wolf that attacked and the mountain lion that attacked. the humans were in their natural territory and yet we're punishing the animal for being just that.. an animal? how about instead close off the area to everyone and let the animal be. unless it's rabid then i dont believe wild animals should be put down because a human intruded on their territory.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Mistik75
    that was one of the stupiest comments i have seen on here, and that is saying alot
    are black people going around violently biting children?

this your answer to dog bites...REALLY!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• you prolly don't want me to answer that. don't get me wrong! i am an animal lover, was a vet tech for 10 years, and yes, some of the sweetest dogs have been pits, and the meanest one i recall was a golden retreiver! LOL!! dogs that attack should not get a second chance. and it is usually not he dogs fault, but the owner, for allowing or encouraging that type of behavior as puppies, or by not containing the animal right. and sometimes, everything is done by the book, all precaustions are taken to keep the animal contained, but it still does attacks, it is an animal, after all.
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 10:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Seriuosly Mistik? First off they're a damn dog NOT a human being they don't exactly have feelings like a human does! I wouldn't wanna be in your home around your dogs. And second for the racist comment wow you really show your ignorance and you my dear are VERY ignorant. Grow up. I seriuosly feel bad for your children since they have an ignoramous for a "mother" (and I use term mother very loosely)

Bird16_J

Answer by Bird16_J at 10:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2011