Are there any tips on raising a very strong willed 7yr old who is very smart also?

My son is 7 and has the mind of a grown adult. I'm serious he'll ask questions that make you rethink how smart are you! The argumenys get rough he's not Quite into tearing things up but he's debating though. Just some tips besides spanking. I've seemed to try it all, I mean everything. He is a good kid does well in school hates homework our biggest struggle.

sjmartin442

Asked by sjmartin442 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He sounds like a very smart boy. What do u mean by strong willed? Can I have an example?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'd recommend a book called Scream-free parenting....they have a website and you can buy the book there.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• We took away the thing that meant the most to our kids for an appropriate time for discipline. Thy all have their favorite things and you surely know your son's. Also might want to read some books on strong willed children. Go to the library or good bookstore and browse. There are a lot of links online if you Google it too. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Don't engage in the argument. Make a rule, set a punishment. When the rule is broken, enact the punishment - no bargaining, no second chances, and when the foot stomping and insults kick in, ignore it the same way you would a tantrum from a 2 year old.

DS is in the same situation - he gets bored with school because a lot of it is too easy, so he doesn't see the point in it. Then when he does get something new, he's blindsided for not paying attention and throws a fit because he's not used to not knowing things. For him, what works best is what we call Amish grounding - you break the rule (talk back, don't do homework, lie about having homework, etc) you lose all electronics for a day, including tv. Arguing about it makes it 2 days, plus an extra day for continuing to break the rule. He's never gone more than a day since the first time we used it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:36 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• does he use computers? or does he have other interests?
    Actress-mom81

Answer by Actress-mom81 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• "The Strong Willed Child" by Dr. Dobson

Answer by missanc at 1:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• First of all does your child have activities with kids in his age group? Children will tend to mimic the behaviors that they see. If you and your spouse argue the child will debate and argue much more and mimic how you both speak and act thus being a "miniture adult". Get him involved in soccer or little league baseball or an extra activity that has him with his peers more than just at school. As for homework, do you have him do it right as he comes home from school or does he have a break first?
    bus_driver_mom

Answer by bus_driver_mom at 2:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Sounds like my son John who is now 29. He has a cholric personality. I think there's a book about the four basic personalities. I hope someone who sees this can tell you what it is. I know that Mary Kay ladies have it in their training. Or at least they use to.
    MelissaCarole

Answer by MelissaCarole at 7:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2011