How can I get my 17month old to take his antibiotics?

He has double ear infections and the doc gave us amoxicillin (sp?). This is awful, but I have to basically sit on him while trapping his arms under me and his head between my knees. Great position b/c he can't get away, but he spits the medicine out, won't swallow much even when I wait till he's done spitting and blowing. I've tried blowing in his face, putting it in a bottle (which we don't use anymore), tricking by using a spoon. NO LUCK! I am getting covered in pink stuff. Can I mix it with something with out messing up the medicine? So Frusterated!

Jackie1081

Asked by Jackie1081 at 10:30 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay, I normally don't advocate Kool Aid for little ones, but I was able to get my middle son to take his amoxicillin when he was a little one by putting it in Kool Aid, or in a little ice cream.....it worked, and he didn't realize he was taking medicine! Good luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• if the cheek & teeth thing isnt working, then you certainly can mix it with juice or milk. just make sure it's a small amount (but enough to cover the flavor of the meds) and that he drinks it all within 15 minutes.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I mix it with yogurt.

Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 10:41 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You can mix it. My son is 21 now, we went through the ear infection thing for several years when he was little, and at one point he was even hospitalized for a double ear infection. My doctor actually suggested the kool aid!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• with my 2 year old, i have to put the medicine between her cheek & teeth toward the back of her mouth, she is forced to swallow it that way. have you tried that yet? worth a shot!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• try giving it to him in a different application (for a lack of a better word) instead of using the spoon or syringe give it to him in a tablespoon or something that he like like in one of his spoons. sometimes the thing could be scary for him looking so big and all. luckily for me i do not have this problem she loves taker her medicine. or try what she said above
    luv2run88

Answer by luv2run88 at 10:35 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I've tried the between the cheek and teeth, he pushes it out with his tongue! He's a stinker. I don't want him to choke and I don't want him to be tramatized! The dose is 2 1/4 tsp and its miserable. Can't do it all at once, but doing it in spurts doesn't work either! I think he would take it if I mix it in some juice or something, but I don't know if that will mess up the medicine and not help him get better...
    Jackie1081

Comment by Jackie1081 (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You can mix it in anything it won't mess up the meds... as long as the child eats or drinks all that you mix it in. Have you tried Strawberry nestle quick? Mix it with whatever you can that won't hurt anything.
    LisaAnn069

Answer by LisaAnn069 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thanks so much! I'm so glad I can mix. Going to try mixing with juice first and if that doesn't work, Koolaid here I come!
    Jackie1081

Comment by Jackie1081 (original poster) at 10:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i always give it to him in a bottle/ sippy cup with just a little bit of juice. always works!
    2ndiapers

Answer by 2ndiapers at 1:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011