Any suggestions on how to help a toddler break the BITING habit?

Grrr..I think its one of the worst toddler habits ever..and one of the hardest to break. :(
I'm babysitting a 20 month old little girl and I have a 23 month of my own that keeps getting bitten!
I think its more of a teething thing than an angry thing because she seems to just bite my daughter just to bite..not because shes mad or throwing a fit or something. For example, my daughter reached out her hand to hold the girls hand and the girl took her hand and just bit it,lol. Funny...then again..not so funny. Biting hurts!
I've talked with her mom (who is my friend) about it and she doesnt know what to do either.
I'm NOT going to bite her back...no way no how..and thats pretty much the only advice that i've gotten from people,lol. If I bite her..I can almost guarantee that will be a green light for my own daughter to start biting..she does everything I do. SOOOOOO.....
ADVICE??? SUGGESTIONS??? HELP PLEASE!!!
Thankyou!!! :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 10:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with the firm "no biting." Also, maybe after telling her not to bite, offer her something else to chew on instead? I had a little girl in my toddler class that was around that same age, and we pinned a teething ring to her shirt (tied a ribbon around it, pinned the other end...) whenever we catch her leaning in to bite, we'd give her a firm "WE DON'T BITE FRIENDS" and then remind her of her teething ring. After a while, she got the picture, and when she felt the need to bite, she'd chew on the ring instead.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 11:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would catch her in the act, speak firmly, "NO Biting" and give her something she can chew on. Baby carrots are great teething things b/c they are cold and as long as she has teeth to chew them up, she'll be good to go. Seperate, time out, take away a favorite toy, etc. She has to learn that its not ok, even if not out of anger. If its really teething, frozen waffles, pancakes, popcicles, anything else that's ok to bite/chew on will help.
    Jackie1081

Answer by Jackie1081 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• yes. catch her in the act and firmly say "no biting". I put my finger to my mouth when i say it to show what body i'm talking about (helps reinforce). I had a little one i babysat who bit (hard!). I would have to watch him closely and when i saw him leaning into the bit, i would say his name to get his attention, then "no biting", and if he continued to try, tell him no biting as i walked him over to the time out step, asked him to sit down, said no biting, biting sits in timeout. then let him sit there for a minute or two (he was about 1and half). I had to do this repeadly for a few weeks, but then he got it. after that it was reminders. took care of the problem. consistency is key.

don't bite back. that doesn't work. that doesn't even make sense (bite someone and tell them no biting?lol).
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 11:16 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My daughter bit me so hard a couple week ago I bled!! I yelled "OUCH!!"because it hurt so bad (I don't like yelling at her) But I think it scared her... oops :) She looked at me like what did I do and then I showed her the bite. She has not bitten me or anyone else since.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't know if this will work for you but I got my twins to stop biting with positive reinforcement. As on began biting the other, I would say "no" very loud and firm. When she stopped in her tracks and didn't bite, I immediately would say "good girl" and hug and kiss her. The next time shed start to bite shed look up at me and I would say"no" in a more mild tone and shed stop and say "good girl" I'd give hugs and kisses. Eventually the biting stopped all together. I believe it stopped because she wants to make me happy and get the "good girl". Or the good attention. My twins are 18 months now and do not bite at all.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 11:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2011