Day care help... Daycares that accept biters?

My son (2 yrs old) is about to get kicked out his second day care for biting... I have done everything i can, the school does everything they can and he just wont stop. Im in tears as im writing this because i dont know want to do anymore... Its hard to find a daycare you trust and then having to keep doing it over and over is hard for me because i always worry about him. Plus im a single mom so staying home is out of the question and money IS a factor.... Does anyone know of a specialized kind of school that can deal with him a little better? I feel horrible he keeps biting all of these kids. I just dont know what to do... Any help would be greatly appreciated

QueenValerie

Asked by QueenValerie at 10:41 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Daycare facilities should be prepared for this, even in home cares - this is typically a phase and they should be watching him to make sure it doesn't happen.. but I understand also that isn't realistic.. my son was the one in his center getting bit and it actually ended up making him fearful of children and no matter how much they tried shadowing this child, he kept getting bit... I ended up taking him out as they center understood this is a phase but I just couldn't let my son suffer any longer.. I feel for you as I know you are upset about this and probably have tried it all... I don't have advice but hope the best for you and hope your baby goes out of this sooN!!!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Some babysitters with a low ratio may be more willing to take on a biter than a daycare. I babysit and have a biter...grrr..its frustrating but I think I'm more willing to work with her on learning to stop biting than to kick her out than a daycare would be.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• And I also feel for you, but I can see why they wouldn't take...or keep a biter....I'm afraid I would also take my child out of the daycare if there was another child there who didn't stop biting.

I agree try to find a home daycare provider, or maybe someone who just wants to watch one child.....at least until he gets through this phase. Good Luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would look for an at home sitter instead of a daycare center until he has outgrown this. I would think an adult would be more willing to work with this if there were not other children involved. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• yeah, daycares have all these state laws they have to go by..and they wouldnt want to be charged with "child abuse" for trying to handle the situation so its best to remove the child
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• its just harder for me to trust a home caregiver that i dont know... thats why i feel better with him going to a daycare... its hard for people to understand how i feel because most kids dont bite and the kids parents that do get bit look at me as a bad parent or bad person and that upsets me. Hes a good kid he just bites... and everyone treats him like he is horrible and that makes me feel horrible...
    QueenValerie

Comment by QueenValerie (original poster) at 11:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Try care.com. You might be able to find a trust worthy at home caregiver that would be willing to work with him. That is the site I used to get my job. They run background checks on the caregivers. Interview, interview, interview before choosing, and honestly, go with your gut. Or maybe check out daycares with lower than normal child to adult ratios. Good luck, honey. I know how frustrating it is. I have dealt with many biters when I worked in daycares. It's always tough to tell the parent of the biter that their child bit again. And it's not always easy to keep your eyes glued to the child. Biting happens so fast. Look away for even an instant, and it could happen.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 11:50 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Your not horrible, and he's not horrible.  He is a baby and this is a stage that they go thru.  I googled it, didn't find any daycare that accepts biters.  I don't really understand that part.  I think it's selfish of you to keep putting him in day cares where he is biting other children.  This is a known habit that he has and he needs to be dealt with differently.  There are lots of places that you can find babysitters and you can put a nanny cam in your house to make sure that everything is going as you want it to.  Just my personal opinion, if your kid kept biting mine, we'd have a serious problem.  I'm not the only parent who has or would say this so just to cut down on the drama I would switch to a babysitter.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would find a certified in home daycare that is very small that has time to focus on his biting and also has less children to get him worked up. I think in home daycares are just as safe as a center... especially if they are certified. The lady my son goes to is WONDERFUL.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011