What makes you a professional photographer? No offense...just curious?

What training do you have?

Did you go to school...get a degree?

Or did you just decide you were really good & deemed yourself a photographer?

eblstanford

Asked by eblstanford at 10:43 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• My brother attended Brooks Institute of Photography.

Proper training is the key.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Where is that?
    eblstanford

Comment by eblstanford (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Once you get paid you're considered a professional....that doesn't necessarily mean you're good.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Santa Barbara, California
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Ohwrite: I've taken pictures for people & have been paid but would NEVER call myself a professional. For the simple fact, I have no training. I would LOVE to be able to call myself that one day but I think doing it now would be lying & cheating those I photograph; thats not the kind of person I am.
    eblstanford

Comment by eblstanford (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Simplicity3: OH WOW!!! Yeah...I live in southeast Louisiana, thats a bit far. Do you or him know of any good "online" schools?
    eblstanford

Comment by eblstanford (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• A business license. As PP said, that doesn't mean you're a good professional photographer, only a professional one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Um...if you're good you're good, and if people are willing to pay you, then don't short yourself. I had a natural eye and took really good photos. My husband bought me an expensive camera and enrolled me in some photography classes. Just classes...no degree. Lots of people were asking me to take their pictures and they were paying. I went down to the city hall and asked some questions and found out I should get a small business license (for $75) and that was it. I am not reaching for fashion magazine work or anything, but I enjoy what I do. I keep the prices really low because I do just love what I do, and there's nothing wrong with any of it. It isn't lying. It isn't cheating.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• DH went to Brooks. He worked the lab there for a while, too. I have training through a college here (never got that degree, but I have one in graphic design.)

I am sure some people have an really good eye for color and composition. I could call myself a professional if I were trying to sell my landscapes or art prints. I would never go that route if it were for advertising or people because I never trained in portrait and product photography.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't know of a good online school.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 27, 2011