Nanny job-any tips,advice, suggestions, input????

Hi everyone! I am getting ready to start a nanny job-I'll be going to someone's house & watching their 3 children, and I'll also be bringing my child. I'm wondering if anyone out there has a nanny job now or has in the past & can offer any tips? I am meeting one more time with the couple before I begin my job there & I want to try to bring up as much as I can before I start. Of course I know things will come up as we go, but I'd like to have a lot of things sorted out first. for example, we're working on details of them being late coming home-obviously I understand weather, traffic, accidents on the road, but I've heard SO many complaints of people taking advantage & arriving home late. Any suggestions on if their late? My husband and I were thinking extra money for 1/2 hr late and more.... just a thought. Thanks so much!

TP1283

Asked by TP1283 at 10:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I do child care but only part time. I would have a written contract if it was full time. And, yes, you should get extra if they are late. I think anything over 20-30 minutes is fair. I assume you know all the kids' schedules and have met them. Are you doing this on a trial period first to see if all the personalities mesh? And have you discussed discipline issues, foods allowed, naptime routines, how things will be handled if the kids are sick, etc? Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:14 AM on Jan. 27, 2011