Mary Kay or Avon?

I have sold Avon in the past, so please don't tell me that Avon has much cheaper products. The ANEW products alone can cost $68 and up, so cheap it is not.

I am looking for legitimate reasons other than cheap products.

TALuke

Asked by TALuke at 11:05 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think that Avon is more popular than Mary Kay, so you could potentially have more customers. Along the same lines though, there seem to be a lot more Avon representatives than Mary Kay, so more competition for those customers. I would pick the company that has products you like and believe in, it's easier to sell products you are enthusiastic about.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:11 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think the Avon products are better than Mary-Kay, hands down. But I do also think they are cheaper - especially their makeup. ANEW is a separate entity though as it's a age-reducing product and those are typically expensive anyway.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 11:15 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If you're looking to sell, I would take a look at the information on their websites and compare the cost of start-up, sales quotas, if you have to give parties, ect, them make a decision based on what you're looking for.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I tried selling Avon in the past and it didn't work for me. I've never tried Mary Kay so I don't have anything to say about it. I think you should think about why you stopped selling Avon and that may help you make your decision. Hope this helps a bit.

Best Wishes!
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 11:42 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I did MK for a short period, I wasn't wild about it for many reasons. I couldn't believe the amount of inventory that they wanted you to purchase when you sign. Be careful w/ that, alot of people join and quit selling pretty fast and have a ton of inventory left over! If you look on craigslist there are so many woman out there trying to get rid of it. Anyway I have a friend that sells avon and does great with it. I would look into finding out how many people in your area sell both. Best of luck on your search and what you decide!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If you are looking to "sell"... why not do both!!! Who says you can only do one?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• MommaClark3, actualy at least in Avon's contract it says you can sell with up to 3 different direct sales company but they cannot be in direct competition. So legally you can't sell both.

But Avon's sheer variety makes it worth while. Yes they have the higher price point creams and line's now, but they also have inexpensive options, jewelry, clothing, purses, home decor, kitchen items, etc etc Mary Kay doesn't have that variety.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce).  http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/

Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their products.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I have sold both and both have their perks and problems. Personally I use MK exclusively (even when I was selling Avon)
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 5:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I agree with rkoloms- NEITHER Arbonne is oraganic and vegan plus superior, I have tried all of them and suppirt a line that wont poison your body.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2011