Any Caregivers out there? What are some tips for a successful outcome?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• I take care of my grandmother, who is nearly 80. We live in her house, so I'm responsible for her care whenever I'm at home, so pretty much 24/7 unless I'm at my job. It's exhausting on a mental level as much as physical.

Advice? If you can find respite care, take advantage of it. Don't neglect yourself (if you don't take care of YOU, how will you have energy to take care of THEM?). And try not to feel guilty that you can't do "it all". It's all too easy to burn out and get resentful of the way other people need and depend on us.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I used to be a caregiver/CNA/EMT I loved loved loved it. Actually, thats how I met my husband. I was doing home health care and I had to take one of them to the hospital where I met him. Back on subject.... Be honest, practice cooking if youre not any good, caring, lend a ear when needed... My grandparents have caregivers and they go through them like underwear, their complaints are always, too pushy, cant clean, cant cook, cant speak good English, stolen things, yelled... so stand clear from that and you should be ok. Best of luck.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• cargiver? caregiver? successful outcome of what? can you add some details?
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Caregivers to elderly parents that are sick.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I took care of my mom during her last week. It was a precious time. But it only lasted a week because she had a condition that sadly affected her quickly. I have never been in the situation where it was long term. If it is a terminal situation I understand hospice workers are fantastic and can give the caregiver a break.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Props to the Ladies. I am doing this with my parents one week on, one week off and it is so stressfull. Just wanted some ideas.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• geminilove, I respect you so much for all that you do. I am doing this because my mom was caregiving my dad with pnemonia and dementia got a stroke so I am doing with is expected of me for both parents. I feel so bad about all the bs gossip amongst my other siblings which is getting very ugly! It actually has helped my marriage. My husband respects me much better since I am up at night keeping a watchful eye over dad and his sundowning and walking. I put him right back to bed and tell him not to disturb mom who needs to get better. He listens to me better than the others but I can not be there 24/7 since I live so far and have my own family but finally I have much desreved respect from my husband.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011