As a teen, did you get kicked out of your home? Why? WHere did you go and how did it work out?

Trying to find a happy ending. How is your relationship with your parent(s) now?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 11:12 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• At 19 my parents made me choose between dating the guy I was currently with or moving out. I chose to move out. I married him (really stupid move on my part!) and 12 years later we divorced (like nobody saw THAT one coming!). But once I moved out, my parents and I had a very cool relationship for a couple of months. I had a very large inheritance so money/finding a place to stay/etc. wasn't a problem. Within a few months my parents started actively reaching out to me, trying to reestablish the relationship. They saw that my ex was controlling and didn't want him severing all my other relationships. Within a few years I was as close to my parents as ever. Since I divorced my ex 6 years ago, I have only grown closer with them. They love my husband and are a very active part in my children's lives.

Answer by missanc at 11:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I had a friend that was kicked out when we were in high school together. She was an awesome person. Very creative- a bit crude and blunt but her parents didn't understand her. They though all of her writing ability and creative talent meant she was crazy. She started acting out because they never tried to understand her. They sent her to therapy where her therapist found nothing wrong with her. So they sent her to another- who also found nothing wrong with her. This went on for over a year. They finally kicked her out. She went from friends house to friends house and finally moved out of state after dropping out. I tried to stay in touch but she moved so much it was hard. Last time I saw her she was stuck with an abusive jerk that made her feel like a child.

meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:20 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• We actually kicked our oldest son out, let me tell you it was the hardest thing I ever did. He wasn't working, wasn't going to school, was leaving messes, and just generally being disrespectful. We put up with it for about a year after graduation, then couldn't take it anymore.

We had some rough times off and on over the years, but never gave up on the relationship. He's 28 now, and I think we have a great relationship, I hope he would say the same.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:25 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I didn't get kicked out but I eft when I was 16. My relationship with my parents has never been good. We talk but we are not close.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 11:29 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I got kicked out when I was 16 & sent to live with my uncle that didnt work out went back home & shit still aint right i used to have a good relationship with my mother but she just doesnt get me the one person i expect to understand doesnt and it sucks because it does hurt but it does teach you how to be strong! "YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL THATS THE ONLY OPTION YOU HAVE"
    ExtremlyUnique

Answer by ExtremlyUnique at 11:39 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thanks for sharing your stories everyone! For those of you who aren't close to your parents there is always hope! I wasn't untill my late 20's, and now they are both like best friends to me! I was a very difficult teenager to deal with, preggers at 16, my poor mother!!!! Now I know how much it hurt her when I rebelled. I have spent years trying to make it up to her. Hope it works out for you though Mrs MWF and ExtremelyUnique! God bless.
    Ohwrite, thank you so much, I love your advice always, and you seem like someone I would love in person too:) I am 100% positive your son would say you were a great mother and you have a good relationship!
    JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No, but thought of running away a few times.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 1:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011