How low can my blood pressure go and be safe?

My blood pressure started out as 179 then I was put on high blood pressure medicine,it went down to 144 in 2 weeks!It's been a week later and now it's down to 119!My doctor said she wanted it to go down to 130.I found out about this from another doctor I go to.My doctor who wanted it to be 130 hasn't called me back yet,don't know if she has gotten the message.Should I say this is a urgent call?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 3:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Health

• It's not the top number of blood pressure you need to worry about it's the bottom number. The higher/lower the bottom number gets is when the worry should kick in. Also, if the numbers are rather close together. Like 140/110 would be bad but 140/90 not as bad.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 3:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• You do know your BP fluctuated constantly right?
    Unless your showing symptoms of too low blood pressure, your fine. Mine is always 105/60 or around in there.
    Anonymous

• My blood pressure gets down to 119 over 70 all the time. It is a good healthy blood pressure. It is not urgent whatsoever. Blood pressure fluctuates all the time.
    Anonymous

• Just ask yourself. AAre you still breathing? Is your heart still beating? Do you feel great because your BP is normal? Then you are fine.
    Anonymous

• actually you do need to worry about both numbers. if you just had to worry about the bottom the bottom would be the only one measured. and yes you need to worry about 140/90. thats actually the bp they start to worry about. the top number should be between 100 and 139 and the bottom should be between 60 and 89. my bp is always 110/70.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 8:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I'm on high blood pressure medicine,so I'm wondering if it's going to keep making my blood pressure go down and maybe that is a unhealthy down.The doctor wanted it at 130 so I'm worried.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 9:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I agree with sterlids and I was thinking the same thing you're worried about....the meds making it go down even more. I'd try calling again or asking someone for their professional opinion. It's not something you want to just forget about. But 119 isn't a bad number. Just make sure you're top and bottom number stay in between the numbers sterlids talked about.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 10:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2008