Would you mention it?

The other post about makeup removal reminded me of a little pet peeve.

Whenever my mother-in-law comes to visit she often sleeps with her makeup on, getting makeup...the mascara is a real toughy...all over the white pillowcases and sheets on the guest bed. I can usually get it out with a little elbow grease and a couple washes, but I have had to replace the pillowcases twice because I couldn't get it all the way out.

She'll be visiting again soon and I wonder if I should mention it or if I should offer a towel to put down on the pillow...I really don't want to hurt her feelings, but I don't want to replace the pillowcases either...or I guess I could just put some of the ones I already replaced on there and reserve those for her visits, though I hate to be anything less than a meticulous hostess.

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 11:51 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• I'd use the ones she already stained....I'd hate to hurt her feelings over something so insignificant if I could avoid it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Honestly I wouldn't say anything. I would put pillowcases on the bed that I considered "disposable" so if I couldn't get the stains out I wouldn't be upset.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:52 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think I would just stick with have a set of MIL pillowcases!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I wouldn't mention it. I'd probably buy some cheap pillow cases for when she visits or use the ones on that she already stained if you haven't thrown them out.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i would judst start holding on to the stained ones and put them back on when she visits if she does this at home she already knows it stains and is probably used to seeing the stains.
    twiggee

Answer by twiggee at 12:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I wouldnt mention it, it can be a real touchy subject with some people. I would instead purchase darker sheets so that if she does stain them, it is not as noticeable!
    Justice828

Answer by Justice828 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I agree with scuba. Pick your battles and let this go.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:56 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would mention it to her in the most polite way possible. Let her know that if she's going to wear make up to please wash it off before she goes to bed as it stains the pillow cases. She shouldn't have a problem with it as long as you're polite to her and don't make a huge stink about it. Good luck and I hope you work something out.

Bird16_J

Answer by Bird16_J at 11:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would offer her an Olay face wash towelette and tell her how great they work and have her try it out :)
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 11:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Don't buy white pillow cases? I have had my fill of white sheets. Yes, they look very pristine and pretty....when they are pristine and pretty. But if you sleep in them with any amount of normal body oil they get really gross really fast. It's not that I don't wash my sheets either. Every week like it's a ritual. But whites never seem to stay white with a big Italian for a partner :)
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 11:59 AM on Jan. 27, 2011