Kids and food

Do your children know where their food comes from? What was their reaction when they found out (if they know)?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Mine know. We eat a mostly plant-based diet, so it's usually a lot of fun to talk about, and they love to learn about the natural processes of plant growth. When we eat meat or fish we choose organic or sustainably grown/caught, and that is also a lot of fun to teach our children about. They always have so many questions.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My hubby and I try to teach our kids where their foods come from. But sometimes they get grossed out! That one show the Jaime Kennedy experience grossed my 9 year old out to the point she wont eat at Mcdonalds anymore!
    Justice828

Answer by Justice828 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My kids know. We are vegetarian and we grow a garden. What we cant grow, we get from the farmers market or Whole foods. My kids are very aware where meat comes from and my 5yr old son says he feels sorry for kids whose parents make them eat meat. He also yells You Suck everytime we pass a McDonalds. No, he didnt learn that from me. I think he must have been PETA in his last life cuz he sure is militant now!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 12:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yes....I don't remember them having a significant reaction.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• They've always knows, we've never hidden it from them, so they've never had a reaction. We buy a live steer every year, bring it to the local locker, and have it slaughtered & cut up - a couple of summers ago we drove out to the farm and we "met" our steer, they petted his nose, called him by name (he was named by the owner, he was a State Fair champion), and they knew & were excited that we were going to be eating him. Quite often when we had beef they'd ask or we'd say "here's ___, he's pretty tasty!". Chickens, pigs, they know it all.

Same with the garden - they help plan & plant the garden every year, weed it, harvest the goodies, plan meals with the stuff, prep it (wash, oldest can cut & helps can).

They know milk comes from a cow's udders (though we're switching to other milks now).

They know it all and love to eat it all.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely. My daughter is one of the reasons why we only buy fair trade coffee and chocolate

Answer by rkoloms at 4:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011