As an adult, what type of relationship do you have with your parents? Has it always been that way?

Indyk

Asked by Indyk at 12:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• I have a really good relationship with my parents. My mom and I used to butt heads growing up. She took each of us kid son a cruise after graduation and we were dreading going together and this trip drew us closer than we had ever been, we travel all over now and I am grateful.
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 12:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm still very close with my parents we talk all the time even do things together... as of right now i'm living with them still we get back on our feet... but it has always been that way all my life.. we are a very close family and my parents will and would do anything they can for me.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I was always close to my parents. More closer to my mom then my dad. My mom died,then my dad got remarried and we drifted apart.We talk now and then.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I am much closer to my step dad than my mom. Long story, but it's always been that way.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 12:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Both of them have passed away, mom when I was 9 and my dad when I was 21.

kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• As an adult my relationship with my mother is much better. I love her. She loves me. We both admire and respect one another in certain ways, which was not true when I was younger. I think we aren't as close as we could be because of the difficulty of our relationship when I was a kid, but I'm satisfied with how it is.

My relationship with my father is one of just being at peace. He wasn't a responisble father. He isn't anymore responsible now, but I have forgiven him and my life turned out awesome in spite of him. He's a fun grandfather to my children, which softens me to him a lot. It's interesting to see him that way.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• With my dad it's distant, not that we disagree/fight or anything, he is just in his own world. My moms and my relationship is ok, we talk about once a week. We aren't "close" but not estranged either.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I am very close with my parents. It hasnt always been that way with my dad. Our relationship is still kind of weird but we are too much alike to be that close.
    Justice828

Answer by Justice828 at 12:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• its great with my mom but rocky with my dad
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 12:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I've had to cut my parents and the rest of my family out of my life. I realized that they were too toxic to continue having a relationship with. I've never been close with them at all (well maybe briefly when I was child--very briefly) and I never really felt that I fit in with the rest of them. My MIL and I sometimes clash on certain things, but we have a far better relationship than I do with my parents. I will never speak to my parents again unless they make some serious changes in their lives. Same goes for my brothers.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2011