missing tooth

so at my 4 year old daughter's first dental visit yesterday, i discovered that her big front tooth is not at all 2 teeth that fused together and grew in as one, but actually the right size for one of her two front teeth and the other one is missing and never grew in. i think it was her old pediatrician who told me it was 1 big tooth, or the ent specialist she saw when she was 1. i was very surprised to hear that, and did notice gaps along her gumline where if another tooth had grown in, they would be spaced closer.

unfortunately, her xrays revealed that her primarys will probably grow in following the same trend as her baby teeth. she said there is a possibility that they could grow in right, but not likely. and the only way to fix it would be braces to try and push the teeth together and make it look like she has 2 front teeth, or an implant in the future when she is an adult if she wants to make that decision. the dentist said missing teeth is usually a hereditary thing, and more commonly happens with back teeth. nobody on either sides has ever had this problem. her dad does have crooked teeth along with the rest of his family, but not missing teeth.

has anyone ever dealt with missing teeth? did the primarys grow in properly or the same way as the baby teeth? i feel so bad that she has this problem, i know how cruel kids can be and the poor girl is probably going to get picked on for it. i probably wouldnt even go the braces route just for this problem alone, because it might not even fix it. :(

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• primary teeth are baby teeth...it's not all that common for a person to be congenitaly missing a tooth.  you need to start saving and planning right now to put braces on her and possibly have an implant done in addition to.  Insurance will sometimes pay a portion of the braces but most insurance will not pay for an implant.  (right now insurance pays on average $1000-$1500 of braces.  Our daughters cost us $6400)  I've worked in dentistry for 12 years.  It's gonna be a bit of a long road but dentistry can do amazing things.  Adults have the same self esteem issues as children.  If I were in your position I would not even consider no putting braces on her.  Most girls can start ortho treatment at about 11 or 12.  My husband got his front tooth kicked out when he was a kid and he actually had an appliance with a false tooth on it to wear until he was old enough to get an implant.

RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My oldest has 2 missing teeth that won't ever be there, and will need braces in the near future. She is missing one on each side of her "big" teeth. The ones in the middle on top.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:39 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• my ds has two fused teeth on his front bottom. the ped-dentist took erays, andsaid there's no way at this point to tell how the permanents will come in. but, if they come in 'wrong' we will get braces at the proper time. its better to do it before the later-teen years..that's when they feel so self-conscious just for breathing!
    we'll see....at least its a fixable issue.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:03 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• It's not life threatening, so relax....Frankly, kids are going to pick on her about SOMETHING, anyway. You making a big deal out of it will make it worse, not better....Try the braces, see if it works for her...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Not with missing teeth but I had to have two milk teeth pulled at 31 years old. The permanent teeth never grew in. My molars were twice the normal size too. So, now I have braces to correct the mess. I wouldn't worry to much about it.
    Inana

Answer by Inana at 11:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2011