My husbands social & personal information has been stolen what should i do?

My husband & i have been receiving threatening calls from scammers saying he owes a debt on a loan & they will be bringing him to court if he doesn't pay. Well i know for a fact this is not true & they are scammers. What steps should i take to clear this up & protect his social & identity? I have thought about getting Life Lock, is it any good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I wouldn't bother with LifeLock (the founder's identity was stolen). I would get a copy of all 3 of his credit reports, and make sure there are no inaccuracies. If the people contacting you are scammers, it will be really easy to disprove your DH owes them anything, I would just ignore them - or write asking for a validation of debt, that may stop them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• NO NOT GIVE ANY INFORMATION... tell them to take you to court, and in the mean time file a police report!!! If you do not owe a debt than do not pay it!!! They are probably trying to scam you out of your personal info????
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Make sure you canceled his credit/debit cards as SOON as you found out they were missing. This way you have the proof that any charges that were tried were not your husbands doing. Also if his SS card is stolen you need to contact the SS Administration.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• In addition to the other answers that say cancel your credit cards, check your credit reports, etc., I would say to file a police report. Tell them you are getting threatening phone calls from people who have stolen your husband's personal information. If you have caller ID, give them the numbers.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 12:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Sounds more like a PHISHING attempt to get you to reveal your personal information!! If you do not owe any money to anyone and cannot identify who the callers are, ignore them.

If the debts were legitimate you would be receiving legitimate correspondence from whomever you owe money to!

When I ran my Ebay business, I got emails from PayPal with MY name on them, saying that I had just purchased some item, that I didn;t purchase and that the funds had been withdrawn from my checking/PayPal account. The notice went on to say that if I felt this notice was an error to "click on the link below" and complete the information fields required (which would have given them my personal account info) and they would take care of it!! YEAH, RIGHT!! I just reported them to PayPal and THEY took care of the scammers!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Don't give them any information. Ask them for their name and phone number. They usually will not tell you. Call the police and tell them what is going on.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I say pull all three credit reports, try to get copies of the calls (put them on speaker and maybe try to record it or something?) and then report it to the police or court system. Have you tried tracing the call?
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It's possible that they just made up the debt and that's what is going on.

Go to annualcreditreport.com and pull his credit report. It's free, and you can pull it once a year from all three of the credit reporting agencies. And you probably should.

If anything is on there that shouldn't be, report it to the credit bureaus. They will have to investigate it and see if it is accurate. If his identity has been stolen file a police report and then send a copy to the credit bureaus.

To me, it doesn't sound like his identity has been stolen, but rather someone is trying to steal his identity by threatening him.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011