S/O of Question: Do you spend because you are made to feel guilty?

I just read a question about someone that spent money on a Hyla and other items for her house that she now feels guilty about. I am not responding, well, because I don't want to get voted down. Anyway, do you go those types of home demonstrations and buy because you get made to feel guilty about why your family should have those items? I am asking because I used to buy that stuff too... heat detectors, vacuums, etc. etc. Then I realized, there are products out there that are available for much cheaper, but still actually do the same things. I just wanted to let everyone know, they are "trying" to sell that stuff. There is a HUGH markup. Don't waste your money. So, have you done this stuff too and finally figured it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I know what you're saying. I don't buy most of that stuff because I see it for what it is - salesmen playing on "mommy guilt" if your family doesn't have (insert latest gadget here).
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 12:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I go to home parties because I have fun and like to help out my friends. I am also in direct sales and know how difficult it can be so I like to support others who do it. I 'd rather help them be successful in their effort to earn money than have them go on PA because they can't find a job. And a lot of the products I've bought are good quality.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't go to home parties because most of the stuff is overpriced.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I really wanted the hyla because its good for my family because it cleans the air in your hole house and it is awsome I was just saying that feeling you get after you make a big purchase no matter what it is a truck atv or even a phone I always get that feeling and i don't know why but i do sometimes having good things is not a bad thing for the kids
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 12:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I bought a $1500 vaccum about 16 years ago and felt totally stupid afterward. Other than that, no. I don't even go to those type things. My friend got herself in a "rainbow vaccum recommend it to 10 people your vac is free" thing. I do like the concept of that vaccum though. My $1500 vacuum still works great after 16 years so maybe it wasn't the worst purchase. =) Anyone can figure out those parties are a rip off.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011