What bottle is a good transition to/from breastfeeding?

Hello Ladies,

I have a 2 week old who is wonderful at breastfeeding. The trouble is, there will be a point where I need to leave him with Dad or Grandma for a few hours, so he needs to be able to take my breastmilk from bottle as well as directly from the breast.

My Mom has tried giving him a bottle a handful of times...he only drank from it once, and seemed super fussy afterward (like he drank too fast and was gassy). The other times she offered him the bottle he sputtered/choked or refused it all together.

I used Dr. Brown bottles with my first son, and that is what we've used for my newborn so far (level one nipple). My question is this....is there a good bottle out there that is more like the breast/nipple? Any suggestions you have would be GREAT.

Thanks.

SID7

Asked by SID7 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We used AVENT and they worked great :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• safety first makes a breast flow bottle, the baby has to work to get the milk out, just like with the breast, my lil one did great with it. and its designed to feel just like the breast.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 3:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• playtex drop ins makes a nipple that is more like the breast and better for orthodontic development and the drop ins cut down on bubbles so no gas
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• When I had my 4 yr old, i used the Nuk bottles. They have a funky nipple on them to imitate mommys nipple. My 4 yr old did great with them, I went back to work when she was 2 months and she could go back and fourth without a problem. She continued to breastfeed until she was 8 months old and started making me bleed by biting.
    Skylasmom105

Answer by Skylasmom105 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I used Avent also.
    Anonymous

• the soothie bottles are alot like the nipple! but the only bottle i found that my son would take after being breastfed was the parent's choice bottles(walmart brand)..
    mommydabbs

Answer by mommydabbs at 4:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I use the Breastflow bottles, and we go back and forth between the fake and real thing every day with no trouble!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• BREASTFLOW!!!! THEY ARE THE BEST!!! you can get them at target...not all have em but i recommend them 100% they are desinged just as nipple and require the same sucking mechanism as they do with a breast.... :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I have a bottle my cousin gave me that actually feels like a boob. Its shaped like one and it soft like one. That being said, I never did get chloe to take a bottle. I think we have about one of every kind made.....
    Shan171

Answer by Shan171 at 10:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Breast Flow..my daughter would not take a bottle until breast flow.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2008