Are you ready to reform Social Security?

Face it. It's true that many don't want SS touched. It's also true that this program is going nowhere. One way or another it will change, might even go away if we don't change it. Are you ready to do what really needs to be done?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope. That scare tactic has been used since the day the Social Security system was implemented...the naysayers said that it wouldn't last more than 10 years......I believe that we need to take care of the elderly in this country, and I believe that they have earned it, and they deserve to be taken care of.....I believe that the best way to do that is for their families to take care of them, but since their families don't seem to agree, social security is the next best thing.....frankly, social security would be a great retirement income if the norm were to live with one of your children when you get old....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My mom has been on ss for three years she still has to work full time to get by...I recently moved in with her since i am alone and so is she. I wanted her to quit working she is now only working two days a week. She is to scared to not work at all.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Before Social Security, we had the Depression Era. Remember that? All these programs to help people were put into place to make sure that era NEVER returns. And no matter what people say about it, I know damn well the haters are the first ones with their hands out for help when they need it. Yes, a little reform, but we do need this program. I think all people against helping others should be stripped of what they have and made to live a poor person's life for a year. Maybe then they'd get it through their stupid skulls how HUMAN BEINGS should be helping each other. And who knows? Perhaps if we did more taking care of our neighbors, we wouldn't need so much government interference.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• In the first place, SS would not even pay my house payment. If I had not retired from the Military, I would be on the street. I have seen people who are older than I am at the super market, buying dog food and I have often wondered if it was really going for a pet.

I am with you NightPhoenix. I have never been on the street, and I attribute a lot of that, to always helping others.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 1:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• tired of all being thrown our way now.I say all OUR money ,i'd like a balance please,I want to know how much is in there!
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Hmmmm.....a little more than 5 years ago then president GW Bush had this "crazy" idea of privatizing social security for anyone UNDER the age of 50--you know so that a portion of your money would GROW and when you retired you would actually have MORE money--AND if you died, your beneficiaries would inherit said invested money?!

Yeah, and he was nearly crucified for suggesting it. *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 3:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• lori- It's such a great idea to do that. It isn't like anything could go wrong if Wall- Street handled this. It's not like people would put all their hard earned money into a 401k to prepare for retirement, and anything bad would happen. We saw how well that worked out for people.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

***

Funny, we've managed just FINE with our stocks and 401k accounts--even with the tumultuous stock prices over the past few years. In order to play the stock market game you HAVE to know what you're doing! God forbid, you take your retirement SERIOUSLY and plan ACCORDINGLY!!

Social Security looks as if it will be belly up by the time I am ready to retire in 25 years! So, if I was DEPENDING on that money and NOT socking away and growing my OWN money, then what?! The ONLY person you can ever count on to take care of you, is you! YOU need to figure out a way that will ensure you have a comfortable retirement. Everything else is gravy!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Besides, mommom...you're FOREVER telling us fiscal conservatives how we should trust the government with our money and taxes and such. If you're so investment savvy, then you should have no trouble navigating the stock market and investing your money wisely!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• So, mommom, you would rather vote me down, than answer my questions?! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2011