How do I get my 4 month old into a routine for naps?

I have no problem putting my 4 month old daughter down for bed at night but when it comes to napping during the day it seem impossible! I nurse and she usually falls asleep but then wakes up from gas or me setting her down then she insists on staying awake and is miserable all day long... please help!

Jessermini

Asked by Jessermini at 12:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our babies have a regular nap time give or take a few. If they like a bottle or rocking before a nap we do that. When "nap time" comes we lay them down, cover them up, don't talk to them, and leave the room. Sometimes they cry till they figure out you're not coming right back in for them. They will cry less and less as they get in that routine. If they are really set of crying we'll wait a while (maybe 5min), go back in, do not lift them up or talk to them but lay them back down, give them their passy if they like one, cover them up and go back out. (repeat as necessary) It gets easier with time. Our babies are excellent sleepers and easy to put down now. Hope this helps. =)
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 12:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't think my daughter fell into a good nap routine until about 6 months. The way I got her into a routine was by really watching her cues, I noticed she would be tired around similar times every day so I worked with that rather than trying to impose the times I wanted her to nap. For instance I would have thought she could use a later morning nap but she always wanted to sleep about 90 minutes after waking up and it was silly for me to try to fight that. You could even write down her patterns for a few days to look for consistencies to build upon. Also try helping your DD learn to fall asleep without nursing. Let her nurse until she is drowsy but not fully asleep and then put her down. Renta Mom gave you good tips on doing that. It may take a few tries and tears but you can do this without just letting her scream for an hour. And have patience, she will likely fall into a routine soon with help from you. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Do you follow the same routine at naptime as bedtime? My kids have all had regular naps. I don't recommend laying them in bed asleep - it's best to lay them down very drowsy but awake so they learn to get themselves to sleep. I have done that with all of my kids and if they cried at all it was for a very short time and more of a fuss than a scream. It also works best if you work your schedule around theirs, laying them down when they have their natural sleepy times during the day rather than trying to fit them into your schedule.

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2011