For breastfeeding moms..how long is your period supposed to stay away?

This is the first time I've breast fed one of my babies this long...a little over 4 months. I still havent gotten a period..I know its supposed to be normal..but still scary! LOL
When does it usually start back up? Or does it not start until you are completely done breast feeding?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know woman who had their period by 6 wks pp and others who bf for one or two years and they didnt have a period at all.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Mine started when she was almost 6 months. I've heard that most women get it back when they start feeding their baby solids
    amanda53x

Answer by amanda53x at 12:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I didnt get mine till I stopped Breast feeding at 11 months
    mommato2boys79

Answer by mommato2boys79 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• MIne came back around six months but then it was very unpredictable until I completely stopped nursing a few months later. It took another month or two for it to get really regular where my cycle seemed normal.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Mine started at 5 weeks post-partum. Some women start when baby isn't nursing all the time, i.e., baby starts sleeping through the night or is supplemented with something else, like bottles, pacifiers, solid food, etc. I've also known women who didn't get a period until months after they compeltely weaned. All of those and everything in between are completely normal.

If you're really worried, you can do one of two things: You can chart (read Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler and check out FertilityFriend.com for good info) so you know when you ovulate and thus when to expect your period. Or you can take a pregnancy test every month to put your mind at ease. Or both.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It's supposed to stay away for however long it does! There is no right answer... it will be different for all and ALL intervals are normal.
    I've known moms to get their periods at six weeks, at six months, at 16 months and beyond!

Follow Dragonrider's advice.... and consider yourself fertile at all times unless you have proof positive that you are NOT.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You could get it immediately or anywhere along the way. There is no right or wrong time to get your period. I did not get mine until LO was 15 months.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 1:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It is different for everyone, but average is somewhere between 6 months to 18 months. It depends on a lot of things though. Cosleeping, letting baby suckle for the purpose of suckling (using mom like a pacifier), returning to work and pumping etc. My first never got a bottle and I got my period at about 14 months, my second I worked full time and pumped and my period returned at 13 months.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Oh and I was still nursing at 13 and 14 months with both my children.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2011