How can I get my 4 month old to sleep longer through the night? He's still waking up every 2 hours or more!!!

I do breast feed him.Could it be that it just goes through him so fast that its not keeping him full at night?
I've even pumped milk and fed him a bottle before bed to make sure he was eating enough,lol.I've tried putting a little rice cereal in his bottle too.Didn't work..he was still up.(lets not turn this into a rice cereal in the bottle debate..desperate times calls for desperate measures,lol..i tried..it didnt work.end of story)
I don't know what to do and I am so ridiculously tiredddd!!!
Any advice will greatly be appreciated! thankyou!!! :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he is just fussing, try to ignore him for a minute, if he continues to fuss or cry. Then get up and tend to him. You could try not feeding him and just rocking him or leaving him in the crib and patting his back. But if you're anything like me, it doesn't work. My daughter will be 7 months old and is still waking 2-3 times a night plus getting up at 6am and waking her brother my 7. I've tried all the things I've mentioned, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• they told me with my dd that if i bf she will want to eat every 2 hours. if i bottle feed she will want to eat 4-6 hours. but i haven't seen a dif..lol. if he is 4 months old, u can introduce baby oatmeal or cereal, or rice. maybe pump and ad some oat meat to it. maybe it will stick to his ribs so he's not hungry in the middle of the night as much.
    he also may be used to waking up that often to eat, do u feed him every time he wakes? i've noticed with my girl, that she doesn't want to eat every time. so now i only feed her if its been more than 2 hours, and if she doesn't go to sleep if i put her in bed with me. shes also only 8 weeks, so the oat meal isn't an option yet. GL!
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 12:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• sorry, this is why you should always read the whole thing! lol. maybe cereal didn't work, maybe the oatmeal will be thicker?
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I asked my pediatrician the same question when my daughter was that age and nursing every 2 hours. He said to stop feeding her at night. At that age they no longer need to eat at night. Once I stopped feeding, she started sleeping longer stretches. After a couple more months we let her cry herself to sleep and never had another night time problem. We let my son cry himself to sleep starting at 4 months.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• He's having a growth spurt. He needs to eat that much

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I have a 17 month old who still wakes up 2 or 3 times a night. Not for anything specific, just gets a little fussy. 4 months old is still young, he should be getting better about sttn. My son started sttn @ 5 months.... Just depends on the baby. Ive used the same techniques with both my dd and ds....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Our 6 month old twins have slept through the night since we brought them home from the hospital. I can't breastfeed since they are adopted, but they eat every 4 hours and were swaddled up until they were 5 months old. They eat at 9pm and then are put straight to bed. Waking up at 8:30 am. They may wake up once in a while now, but that's because they are teething. Everyone says we are VERY lucky.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 1:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Cereal DOES NOT make them sleep. They sleep longer when they do it... what you do sadly has nothing at all to do with it. Two hours is what I'd expect at this age. Your best defense? Co-sleeping if you can, and eliminating that which is not needed to survive during the daytime so you can get the rest you need.

TALuke is right... she is lucky!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Marwill, docs sadly give poor advice... for a breastfed baby that advice is an invitation to Failure to thrive. They wake because they NEED something at this age... waking out of habit comes much much later.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would definitely try feeding him more during the day, even if you have to wake him to do it - and make sure he stays on long enough to get the hindmilk. He needs to get his calories in, and if he's not doing it during the day, he will do it at night. I would definitely try to cut down on his nighttime feedings by trying to get him back to sleep at night without nursing. Do you nurse him to sleep? That can cause problems as well, if he's used to falling asleep nursing, then he may need that to get himself back to sleep when he wakes. Putting him down to bed drowsy but awake is best.

Answer by missanc at 1:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011