do you hang out with your coworkers outside of work?

I have mixed feelings about this what does everyone else think?

sexydiva4279

Asked by sexydiva4279 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• No,only in work social engagements, such as the company Christmas party or work lunches/dinners when the boss makes it clear we're "encouraged" to attend.

It's not that I don't *like* the people I work with, because for the most part I do. I just don't feel that I have much in common with them outside of work, and so I feel socially awkward and a little anxious and/or isolated during those gatherings. it doesn't help that my current company is a family business, so about 50% of the employees are blood-related. Sometimes, I feel like I'm intruding on a private family function - though they don't deliberately act that way.

I also act differently at work, so I feel like I have to maintain that certain demeanor at those gatherings and it gets tiring.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I used to.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Nope. Not anymore. It is so tempting to do when you are new to a place, but a bad idea, especially if one of you is in a more authoritative position at work. I'm sure it can work, but always seemed to bite me in the rear when I was friends with people I work with ... now, once you no longer work together, that is a different story.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 1:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• No.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 1:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2011