whay are so many people against marriage?

chefjen

Asked by chefjen at 12:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't know! To each their own. I say, do what's best for your life! I believe in Marriage!! Here I am over 30+ Years!! Trying for happily ever after... I wish everyone the best!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 2:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think it's because so many people are getting married after they have only know each other a couple of months and their marriages fail. It's starting to look like a joke.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I believe in marriage, the foundation of it, and the purpose of marriage... and I think I am worth having more than just a ring on my finger and pretending! I am worth more... and people forget if he dies, I get his life insurance, Social Security, and the list goes on... half his retirement, half his pension, and so forth... and we own everything as a couple... and no "mine or his"... it is OURS
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think the high divorce rates are what turn people off from marriage. I also think the acceptance of live-together couples has made marriage seem extraneous or restrictive. I believe marriage signifies a solid commitment and is so much more than just a piece of paper or a legal state of being.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Some people are against getting married until gay people can get married too.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I believe very strongly in marriage and the commitments within it to each other.

I also believe that some people may just not be "cut out" to live within those commitments and what being married really means.

I happen to think I may be one of them.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 1:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i dont know, im not
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm not a fan of marriage, but I'm not against it either. I don't think it's necessary in order for a relationship to last, or for two people to be happy. I think too that there are some really horrid stereotypes attached to marriage. The idea that one person "belongs" to another is, in my eyes, disgusting! I am a happily married woman, I love my husband - But he does not belong to me. He is his own person. We stay together because we love each other, because we have a great connection, not because we are married. That paper would mean NOTHING without the love...

So I guess it's not that I'm "against marriage" it's that I'm for love and I simply don't see why we need marriage to define a relationship.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• * why- sorry typo
    chefjen

Comment by chefjen (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i don't know. i was in a marriage at one time. but it dissolved - children are involved - is man more important than children or children more important than man? I would rather date than be involved in another marriage til my children were on their own and then maybe i would change my mind depends on the circumstances.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 1:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2011