legal??

is it legal to set items outside of the yellow, blue, red boxes for the salvation army, planet program etc. when the boxex are full.? I thought you had to find other different boxes in different location to place clothes and shoes in. Is it legal to take things setting outside of boxes that people left behind? I think it's stealing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Shopping

• It is stealing to take the things. They did a big expose' on the news in Dallas not long ago. I dont think its illegal to leave stuff outside the boxes
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 1:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• If doesn't belong to you leave it alone. What goes around comes around.
    MrsLooney

Answer by MrsLooney at 4:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It depends on local ordnances. Some areas do not allow people to leave items when they are closed or full because it is a health and safety hazard. When in doubt, check with your local chapter to see what limits they have on afterhours donations.

As to theft, I'd say yes, because they would have had to buy the items had they gone into the store. SOme will say no because the agency had never taken possession of the item. (To me, it's like stealing someone's mail. Sure they never took possession of it, but it was intended for them.)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You do have to find a different box to fit them in. I do believe it's unethical to take something that was donation.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Well, I have always set stuff outside the box. I never take the stuff. That is stealing.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 12:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• What did they take? Was it cold outside and they needed a coat?
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 1:40 PM on Jan. 29, 2011

• I didn't see anything taken but people put alot of items outside of boxes that weren't even suppose to be left there. only for clothes and shoes. people left floor lamps, fish tanks, tvs,end tables. I was told it wasn't stealing that anything out of the boxes is free for the taken. I don't agree and consider it stealing. I never steal.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2011