DR's v.s MIDWIFE

IN your OPINION who would you perfer a dr, or midwife? and why?

20andPregnant90

Asked by 20andPregnant90 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have one child and I had a midwife. She wouldn't iduce me when I went overdue by almost 2 weeks and my son was 9 12.5
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Midwife
    She took the time to listen to me. The OB was always trying to rush me out the door

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I had a midwife through the whole pregnancy, but the day he actually came was my midwife's day off and in the end I got a dr who I met 5 minutes before my son came into the world. I loved my midwife, she knew me, she knew my pregnancy and it was very personalized. So I would like to have a midwife for my future second child, but there arent any in the new community I live in..
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I do agree, I just feel even though they may not make the right decision they seem to be there most of the time and listen to you. Im just debating cause im 30 weeks prego and still wondering if I should have a midwife and DR on hand or just a DR. ?? ugh! I better decide fast lol.......
    20andPregnant90

Comment by 20andPregnant90 (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• A Dr. I will will will will never go to a midwife as long as I live. I was have a misc. and she told me to get into a hot tub of water. I hung up with her and of course went to the ER. I then told the doctor and he said well that was the wrong info. I was thinking to myself ya think. Here where I moved you see a midwife at 8 weeks then at 12 weeks a doctor. Where I was from you see the doctor when you find out you are prego.
    Anonymous

• Ob, I LOVE may doctor, she takes the time to explain everything and not in doctor terms.... She is also a mom, so she understands what im going through. I would much rather a doctor who has the technology and the equipment should anything go wrong.... And like another said, someone who actually went through the schooling, not just someone who watched a few movies and took a few tests....

In my opinion, if you've had a pushy or rude ob, search for a different one, not every ob/ doctor is like that.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'll get bashed for this, but I want a doctor. (And have had a doctor for all three of my pregnancies/deliveries, I never considered any other option because for me there isn't one). If something happens, I want an experienced OB to take care of my child and myself. Midwives just aren't trained to handle some of the rare "worst case" scenarios.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Sorry, forgot to add that I like my OB/GYN so much that I am going to continue to see him after I move (500 miles away). He is a phenomenal doctor, my youngest son and I would have died if not for his care and experience.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• They both have their pros and cons. Doctors are more medically-minded, of course; this means they're better prepared to handle emergency situations, but also that they're more likely to create those situations with all of their (possibly well-intentioned) interventions. Midwives are more likely to let your body do what it needs to do, which is usually good enough and better than trying to force things to happen on a schedule, but should an emergence arise you would have to be transferred to a doctor's care.

It really depends on your pregnancy and history, whether you have or expect any complications, and your comfort level with the birthing process. If you're the type of person to want to do things they way nature intended, go with a midwife. If you'd rather be covered for all the "what-if's", go with a doctor.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I had considered it and I'm so glad I decided against it. With our second child the cord was around his neck and he was blue. A midwife wouldn't have known what to do, or the equipment to keep him oxygenated when he needed to be.... If you need support, talk to Moms you know, spend time with others that have babies, family, friends, etc... You should also consider if you need medical treatment, some women lose a lot of blood, etc.... What if the baby is in distress? There are so many things that could go wrong.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011