How can I get my son to poop on the toilet?

Hello! My son is four years old and we have been training for aver a year. He pees just find on the toilet (sometimes needs some reminding) and rarely pees his bed. BUT he won't poop on the toilet! If we catch him pushing we sit him down and sometimes he goes. but most of the time he says its to hard and he can't. We have tired reward charts, ignoring it, yelling at him, threatening to put him in diapers, but nothing seems to work. I also have a five month old and I feel like all I do is clean up poop! HELP!!!

ejglass09

Asked by ejglass09 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Good question! It took me a long time to get my son into doing it. I eventually had to appeal to his sense of being a big boy. Yea its bad but when he would not use the toilet I woudl tell him that he wan''t a big boy until he did.
    MamaWolf1981

Answer by MamaWolf1981 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I will try and I hope it works! He is driving me nuts!!
    ejglass09

Comment by ejglass09 (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Find something he may really like. But tell him it's ONLY for big boys, and once he learns how to always poop and pee in the toilet, he'll be a big boy and he can have it. ....New bike perhaps - if you can afford it?
    Anonymous

• My daughter just said who is 3 just sit and push. I am on the computer of course, my daughter said mommy what are you reading so I was reading your post. So I asked her how can we help our friend and that is what she said. So cute. I would just keep doing rewards he will one day just get it.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 1:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thank you all so much. I know he will eventually always go on the toilet, I just feel like a failure because all my friends kids are younger and they go on the toilet. I will keep at it though! Thank you!
    ejglass09

Comment by ejglass09 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Some kids are just later than others. Don't feel like a failure! I would go with a big reward of some type, keeping in mind what is big to him is different than what is big to you. Take all the anger away and keep at it. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Your child will go when they are ready, but I know that giving a sticker to my son for using the toilet and then rewarding him with a prize after so many stickers helped tremendously. I would buy the prize (something he really wanted/liked) and sit it next to a posterboard I made for him. I wrote his name at the top and then put placeholders for all the stickers he needed to earn in order to get the prize. I got stickers of things he liked (Thomas the Train, Cars, etc) and let him pick the sticker after he used the toilet. He got more stickers for going Poop than Pee. At first he didn't have to earn many stickers to earn the prize, but after he earned the first prize then I upped the number of stickers he needed to get to earn the next prize. Eventually he just started going on his own and I didn't have to reward him. If you aren't opposed to bribing then I would say you should try this.
    jwickum

Answer by jwickum at 3:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011