Do you wonder how many cross the border successfully?

U.S. border authorities have arrested a controversial Muslim cleric who was deported from Canada to Tunisia three years ago and was caught earlier this month trying to sneak into California inside the trunk of a BMW, according to court documents.

Said Jaziri, the former Imam of a Muslim congregation in Montreal, was hidden inside a car driven by a San Diego-area man who was pulled over by U.S. Border Patrol agents near an Indian casino east of San Diego. Jaziri allegedly paid a Tijuana-based smuggling group $5,000 to get him across the border near Tecate, saying he wanted to be taken to a “safe place anywhere in the U.S.”

The arrest marks the unexpected resurfacing of the 43-year-old cleric, whose protracted legal battle to avoid deportation drew headlines in Canada. A Tunisian immigrant, Jaziri was deported for failing to disclose a criminal conviction in France while applying for refugee status in the mid-1990s.

But Jaziri’s supporters said he was targeted for his fundamentalist views: Jaziri backed Sharia law for Canadian Muslims and led protests over the publication of the prophet Muhammad cartoons in a Danish newspaper in 2006.

Other Links:

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/26/said-jaziri-5-facts-about-the-muslim-imam-caught-after-illegall/

Other related border news:

A book celebrating suicide bombers has been found in the Arizona desert just north of the U.S.- Mexican border, authorities tell Fox News.

The book, “In Memory of Our Martyrs,” was spotted Tuesday by a U.S. Border Patrol agent out of the Casa Grande substation who was patrolling a route known for smuggling illegal immigrants and drugs.

Published in Iran, it consists of short biographies of Islamic suicide bombers and other Islamic militants who died carrying out attacks.

According to internal U.S. Customs and Border Protection documents, “The book also includes letters from suicide attackers to their families, as well as some of their last wills and testaments.” Each biographical page contains “the terrorist’s name, date of death, and how they died.”

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• ~*Honestly*~ I don't truly care... I know it sounds harsh, but until I am forced to face a reality like that, or have relatives that come in the wrong way, it doesn't effect me? My husband is the thrid generation born here and his family came in following laws and the right way, so I don't have the worries of lossing my husband or my kids loosing a father... and I'm sorry but those that can't do like my family and husband's family did... legally... I have no empathy?

Although for all I know if I were in the same situation I might have done the same thing... dont know... just wonder why people can leave a country because it sux, than pretend it is all that matters when they do??? What was the point of leaving it if it was so great instead of staying and making changes??? I guess I see no commone sense in it all
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• To many.... 1 is too many
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• That's lovely
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Mommaclark - you might want to read the OP. She's talking about potential terrorists sneaking into the country. Not illegal immigrants trying to give their families a better life.

I don't know now many. I admit I'm more concerned about the home grown terrorists, of any sort.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 2:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I am equally worried Homegrown Terrorists and radical illegal extremists/terrorists...
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I could really careless.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Oh!My!Stars! Are you even reading the post? Or are you just reading the title and skipping straight to your comments?

I have concerns about illegals coming over and using our tax dollars, okay, but this is an ENTIRELY different issue. This man is someone who wants to destroy us completely and has not one problem doing so violently. He won't shed a tear of remorse if he kills you, your husband, and every last one of your babies in the process. And you have no concerns about this?!?

We need better border security for a whole lot of reasons. And this is a huge reason.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Wow. It does concern me and I do wonder how many drug dealers and the like go back and forth.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I could really careless.

~ Not surprised by your answer.
    grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm much more worried about the tea party destroying my country, gun loving and owning americans, and paranoid old busybodies than I am about 1 potential terrorist crossing the border.

In other words, I could care less.
    nutsonmain

Answer by nutsonmain at 10:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011