Do you consider this a support site or a support group?

I always pause a moment when I see someone say that, usually in the context of "we're supposed to be here to support each other". This is how CM describes itself:

Launched in late 2006, CafeMom is the #1 site on the internet for moms and the premier strategic marketing partner to brands that want to reach moms in a rapidly changing digital environment.

I would consider this a networking site - no different than Facebook or MySpace, with the only difference being there are general rules that are occasionally enforced about who can and cannot participate.  But I don't consider FB a "support" site, any more than this is.  The majority of the site - groups, journals, Q&A, polls, all of it, are categories that aren't about parenting at all, and those that are, are as much about debate or marketing as they are advice.  What is it that makes people categorize this as some kind of support group, as opposed to a networking site with a few select areas that cater to giving advice?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I consider it support groups within a support site

Answer by admckenzie at 1:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would say they have some supportive groups but this isnt a supportive website. Just look on what's here in Answers.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It was started as a supportive site for moms...sad what it's become... :-(
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• The few select areas that cater to giving advice are what make it a support group or site for people....I come to this site to connect with other moms, offer support, receive support and advice, give advice when I can....have fun, etc.....even though the purpose of creating this site was for the ultimate profit of somebody, the average person who uses this site is looking to connect, imo...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• ~*Smiles*~ considering more people seem to come to CM to bash others, or troll around looking for those worse off so they can feel better about themselves, and so forth... Cafe Mom is no support system for me!!! People here are having to defend whether to breastfed or bottlefed, which way they face a damn carseat, or whether they use clothe/disposable diapers??? Are you kidding??? Even seen posts that start out with "Parents who forward face are idiots"???? I think this is a place more about bashing others and I've even watched some gain a "pack mentality" because another poster doesn't think like them to bash them...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Networking site

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• This is a social networking site. There are support groups within it, but the site is trying to entertain us so we keep visiting so they can sell us (the audience) to their advertisers.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I completely agree with your assessment, NP. I always smile when I read that line "But I thought this site was for moms to support each other". I suppose different people have different worldviews and it's probably people who are a little more emotionally driven and perhaps with a more optimistic POV who would feel that way.

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• When the site first came about everyone was extremely supportive. Now it is just a basic social networking site. imho
    Anonymous

• that's a pet peeve of mine. This is a site for mom s to get together. That's it. Motherhood is the ticket to get in what we do when get here is socialize. Support is an option but the purpose.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 12:31 AM on Jan. 28, 2011