How do I put my child on a schedule?

Okay, it is a little more complicated then that!
I had my son on a pretty good schedule for about two years. When I got pregnant with my daughter there were some complications and my husband had to take over. The schedule got a little messed up but we mostly stuck to it. When out daughter was born it seemed the whole house went haywire. My son thought he could get up at three in the morning and watch TV because mommy did (feeding the baby). Then my husband lost his job. We had to move back into my parents house where a few of my sibling also live. My mom typically cooks for all of us but it is never at the same time. I want to get my son put back on a schedule, but it is hard when everyone in the house has her or his own idea of when to do things. We are supposed to move in a couple of months but I really want my family back. How can I have my own small family in the middle of a bigger family? How do I approach my mom about the dinner situation without upsetting her? And one more question that is a little off base, how do I get my mom to stop interfering with the way my husband parents? Every time he says or does something (typically with discipline) my mom tells him he's wrong or being to hard. She is helping us out, but I want her to stay out of it... ugh.

ejglass09

Asked by ejglass09 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• As far as the meals - I have a 2 year old and if we aren't eating supper at the time he usually does, I go ahead and feed him a "meal" even if it's just cheese toast and blueberries. Then for supper, I treat as a snack for him. We usually eat at the same time, unless my dh is going to be late from work. The rest of it - I can't imagine living with family! Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• when my inlaws where here and did not see eye to eye on things but I still made dinner the same time each day they were here. I even told mother in law off. so be sure to stand up for what you believe is right. Dinner hour try to just have your family or even if can afford then maybe go out to dinner
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• we have the same problem too! we moved back in with my mother and she is constantly interfering, i haven't figured out a nice way to put it yet so when you do let me know! as far as the eating i would just feed him dinner when you want him to eat, make something easy for him whatever it may be, and if it fits into his schedule he can have dessert when the rest of the family eats dinner. I have a strict schedule for my son and i just told my mom not to be insulted that he really needs a schedule because i can't have him all over the place, she understood. As far as the discipline, i still haven't figure that one out!
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 2:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Well I will defiantly try it. Need to at least figure something out until we move into our own place again!
    ejglass09

Comment by ejglass09 (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2011