My 13 year old is addicted to Xbox, he is a gifted child but is slaking lately with his schoolwork, I don't know what to do he is everywhere wants to do it all. My husband and I are very very strict when it comes to his schoolwork, but how much can he take?

schoolfirst

Asked by schoolfirst at 1:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• i am confused. maybe it is just me, but can you explain the question again? :)
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 1:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would take the XBOX away until he steps it up with his homework. If his homework is suffering he shouldn't be playing video games that time could be spent on homework.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I am kind of confused with your question. But if his schoolwork is slacking and he is addicted to xbox then take away the xbox. Or do not allow him to play it until he shows you his finished and correct homework.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Let him play the xbox after his homework is done.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I agree. xbox comes after everything else
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yep, the rule is if you don't have time to study and do your homework, then clearly you don't have time for x-box......my kids had a daily time limit for video games. They got an hour break after school to relax, then they had to do homework. If they weren't getting their homework done, or clearly weren't studying because their grades had dropped, then they couldn't play video games at all until the grades came back up. They still got an hour break to decompress after school....but no video games.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 2:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Our rule is work before play. We allow one hour of "screen time" on school days, two hours on weekends.

Is your child in academically advanced classes, or his is bored?

Answer by rkoloms at 4:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I can't say my son is "gifted" but he is a very good student. We had the same issue with the xbox. Definately addicted. We finally took it away during the school week. We tried the homework/study first. He would come home saying he did it in school or rush through it at home so he could play. And he is only allowed a few hours on the weekend. It was really becoming a problem until we took control of the situation because he couldn't do it himself. His grades are much better and we are all happier.
    jwpmom

Answer by jwpmom at 8:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Take the XBox away.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Agree with tyfry7496, with my son we used it as the motivator, get your grades under control and you can play for a few hours on the weekend. It worked for us, but with any true addiction there are withdrawals. My son was truly angry when his xbox was taken away, but we stuck with it and he brought his grades up. He knows he can only have a few hours on the weekend, but watch out they will try for more. We told our son if he couldn't enjoy the couple of hours he had it would be taken away all together. So far so good.
    It was over a month before we gave it back on the weekends.
    jwpmom

Answer by jwpmom at 12:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2011