Talking while nursing

My LO has this new thing where she likes to babble while nursing and stick her fingers in her mouth with my nipple. My nipples have been getting sore again could this be why? How do I break the habit?

andria82

Asked by andria82 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would think that is why you are getting sore she doesn't have a proper latch if her fingers are in her mouth. How old is she? You could try a nursing necklace to keep her hand busy or toys, or those mittens that are meant to stop them from scratching themselves.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• She is amost 5 months; necklace is a good idea!!
    andria82

Comment by andria82 (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm guessing little booger is between 4-9 months old. ???

This is normal, usually happens when they are about to start, or are already teething, and also happens as they become more aware of their bodies, things around them, and their vision improves.
    Best thing I can offer is to hold one arm underneath her so that she can't use it, and wear a "nursing necklace" (any super long string of non toxic beads will work- you can even make a pretty one out of glass and stone beads, and use heavyweight fishing line to string it) to distract her. Something to grab, touch, and look at.

The other explanation for soreness is that as their muscles mature, their suck increases in strength. This always took me a month or so to get accustomed to, and caused me tenderness. If she babbles so much that she loses suction, take away the breast for a few minutes until she is focused on eating and begin the feeding again.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It is likely that you are sore because she doesn't have a good latch (if she has her fingers in her mouth she doesn't). I would put her arm around you so she can't move it
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 3:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Sophia went through that phase, I just took her hands out or made her stop nursing. She only did it a couple weeks before she knew I meant business.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Mine does that too shes 5 months, and the dran fingers no matter how short i cut her nails she drawls blood on my nipples! I take her off until she decides she wants to eat and not play. I dont mind the talk and blowing bubbles its the scratching and the lach that are hurting.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Give her a small toy or the necklace is a good idea. Poor latch will def make you sore.
    busywithbabies

Answer by busywithbabies at 9:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2011