My 5 year old is struggling with his letters and numbers and needs help, what else can I do?

My son's kindergarten class goes to school 2 days a week and ever other Friday. I pick him up from his classroom eveyday that he has school. He then rides on my bus route until we are done for the day. (School bus driver) I speak his teacher every day that he is in class. He has now had 2 progress reports saying that he needs help with his letters and numbers. My husband and I have been working very hard to get him caught up yet he is still behind. This second progress report suprised me saying that he needs help still. His teacher hasnt been telling me anything. My heart is breaking for him. What else can do? I have an appointment to meet with his principal as well.

bus_driver_mom

Asked by bus_driver_mom at 1:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just make it part of your routine, going over the things he needs help with, maybe when you're on the bus route, or after dinner, bathtime, or some routine time. Make it fun. There's plenty of activities that you can do to make the learning fun. To be honest, the teacher should be communicating with you a little better, telling you what you need to do at home with him to help. If she's keeping mum and just telling you he has this lag, that's not right. Other than that, relax a little. If he feels this is stressing you out, that will stress him out and his learning could be hindered.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I know children develop on different levels.
    However, by 5, I would think letters and numbers would be a breeze. I would consult with his pedi, just to make sure nothing is wrong. Maybe, it's something simple like he may need glasses.

I live in Maryland, and the schools here...at Kindergarten, they're reading.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Does he know his alphabet and just can't recognize his letters or does he not even know that? If he can recognize letters and numbers you can always play I spy while driving around. There are so many roadsigns with letters and numbers you can see who can find the most. I was worried with my DS at first but now he is doing an amazing job and is even starting to really understand addition and subtraction!

andria82

Answer by andria82 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Homeschool!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• my girl is in kindergarden and goes every day all day. She is behind on speech and even goes to program at school called vouger and even goes to speech. Flashcards and even a web site called starfall and www. tickettoread.com are sites they gave her to do as homework and seems to like them so might try them and see what happens. Plus I found out that if I rush her and make her do it to long at night then she pulls back so just make lessons short and see what happens.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Have him tested. Put it in writing and have him tested, eyes, hearing, speech, and any learning disabilities. He may qualify for a full day program somewhere if they are offered.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Homeschool isnt an option sadly. By this point his progress report sys he should beable to count to 20 and write his numbers 1-10 he cant count past 5 or even write past 2 for me. Letters on the progress report says he should know 12 letter names and letter sounds and should beable to write them as well, when he does his homework he can tell me the letter that he is working on, the sound and sort of write it, but once it is done, even after 5 minutes he cant tell me about it. His teacher told me and my husband at the first progress report it is normal and that he will be caught up by the 2nd progress report. we play games, have him help us when cooking, sing songs, cut TV time way back, have book time. The 2nd progress report came and it still says he needs help. we wee suprised by it, his teacher didnt communicate that he is still struggling this hard.
    bus_driver_mom

Comment by bus_driver_mom (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I bought letter books and had my son trace the letters and then write them free hand. My son is 4 years old and has been able to recongnize/write letters since he was 3 years old. He should already be counting to 20 as well. My son can count to 50 already. You need to keep working with him. I also have letters on my son's wall.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You need to ask the teacher what you can do to help him and tell her to be specific. I think you could play cards with your child. The cards have numbers and you say the numbers as you lay a card down and has to match the numbers, like Skipbo, or something like that, or anything with numbers on them. Could use simple dominos as well as you have to count, or get ones with a number on them. You can try to find games where there are letters on them. There are games like Go Fish (Old Maid is probably just picture recognition) and check your toy aisle for inexpensive games for his age that have letters or numbers. Learning can be child's play and have your attention as well as you play with him. You can also do flash cards. In the car he can be assinged to find an "A" and once done, to find a "B" on a license or building, or sign. Read to him and point to the words as you read. There are also phonic games for sounds.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Definitely ask for him to be evaluated. He might have a learning disability which would benefit from a special teacher, or maybe more days in kindergarten. It's hard to progress unless he goes to school every day.
    Keep doing what you are doing, read, read, read. Some kids start a little slower, then catch up. However if there is a problem, you want to know now before he falls behind any more.
    Maybe repeating kindergarten would be useful for him, if you have no other options.
    Also ask the teacher every day how did it go and what problems she is seeing. You can't wait a whole semester again. She shouldn't have let it go until the 2nd progress report. If necessary, schedule weekly appointments with her.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 4:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2011