How to help a cat with kidney failure?

Is there anyway to help a cat with kidney failure? How do you help someone? When at the vet. They are helping but it is costing up to $800.00! And the cat is 13. Any tricks for recovery? Comfort anything you may know of? Your kind favor to care and reply is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 1:56 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pets

• I really don't think there is anything the can do. So sorry. We had to put my cat to sleep for that. It was tough.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You put it to sleep.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• We had to put our cat to sleep for that. Kidney failure is really difficult to handle in cats, and they can't always prove it's the kidneys 100% and when they do, it's usually quite progressed. The vet gave us pain meds, and we changed his food to science diet, but two months later we had to put him down.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Honey, the cat is 13 yrs old, its body is slowly shutting down because it is time. You have to come to terms with this and do what is best for your feline friend.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't think your cat will recover. It's usually a gradual disease that gets worse until the kidneys just shut down. I had a cat that I adored suffer from kidney disease. We were on a tight budget, I was so young. I just gave her the prescribed medication and injected fluids under her skin until it was obvious that she was just not doing well, not active, skinny, and when the time came, I brought her to the vet and put her to sleep. I'm so sorry you're cat isn't feeling so well. I wish you the best.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 1:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I am still hearbroken over having to have our cat put down with that. There was nothing they could do, and the cat was suffering. I am sorry about your furry friend.

Answer by Bmat at 2:03 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• You pet him, kiss him, thank him for 13 wonderful years and then you let him go.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I hear with cats, they show less signs for many things so by the time it shows, its very often times too late and for a 13 year old cat, the stress and recovery may be more than it can handle.. so sad.. I have 3 cats so I understand how hard it must be..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• When a cat is in kidney failure there is not much they can do. Giving them fluids and putting them on a special diet is about it. Has the vet shown you how to do that so you can do it at home? But you have to decide how much you are willing to put the cat through because there does come a time when that isn't enough anymore and you have to let them go. I am sorry.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I agree with what KyliesMom5 said, there isn't any cure, treatment is short term, and very limited. I have lost a cat to kidney failure, from diabetes. His was a rare kind that was poorly controlled with insulin injections. Although it was so painful, I knew that the kindest thing was to let him go; keeping him alive was selfish of me. I am so sorry you are in the same place. hugs

SeanandNoahsmom

Answer by SeanandNoahsmom at 4:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2011