Where is HE......

I am little dissapointed that Obama is NOT at the world economic summit! I would love to know what ya'll think. I voted McCain but I am REALLY trying to give the man the benifit of the doubt. He sent surragates. Is this what he is going to do always? And son't tell me he isn't president yet, he will be in about 8 weeks and he could hit the ground running if he was there!! What do ya'll think??

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 3:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I am not sure if the "protocol" calls for him to be there.. I think it would throw other nations off guard if we had a President and a President Elect there...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• Yeah, I think you're right grly. I heard about that sometime before the election. If both of them are there, it might confuse some of the other world leaders into thinking that Obama's opinion actually counts over Bush's right now. I think it's best that he just focuses on getting his staff and cabinet together right now, and as hard as it may be...let Bush deal with world leaders.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• It's not protocol for both the president and the president elect to be there. Plus he alreadt said this country only has one president at a time so he is respecting Bush. i like that he chose to respect our current president instead of undermining him. He has to prepare this transition that should be what he concentrate on.
    Anonymous

• He damned well should have been since he will be the decision maker starting 1/20/09. We gonna see a lot of stuff we don't like come up. This is going to be a totally different presidency than we have ever seen. Not at all in the respect of color but Obama's age, being so young, and his experience.
    FooKat

Answer by FooKat at 4:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• He's not the president yet and he's still putting his staff together. At this point it's important for him to put his staff together. He can't go into the White House with an incomplete staff - then he will an be ineffective president.

Also, he sent representatives most likely to listen and inform him of what was discussed so that he will be up to speed.

If he were to attend it would be confusing and possibly threatening to the other world leaders there.  Again, he is not the president yet.  Bush is still the president.  No telling what negative message his presence could possibly send to the other attendees.

Finally, maybe he wasn't invited.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I think he made the right call. He is letting the current world leaders lead. We have no idea what he and Bush talked about in any of their meetings. He could very well be shaping things already (I'm sure he is trying) WITHOUT rocking the boat. This was very tactful of him. And yes, I was a McCain supporter too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I think we should let Bush finish his term before the next one comes in....there will be plenty of opportunities for Obama to send his surrogates to future summits!
    Anonymous

• technically he's not allowed to go.
    he sent some surrogates though. for one i know he sent madeline albright but i can't recall the name of the second representative he sent.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 5:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I voted for McCain as well, but I do NOT think Obama should be at the summit. I find it respectful that Obama is recognizing that there cannot be two Presidents at a time. (Even Reagan, after winning the '80 election, didn't jump in on Carter's territory with the Iranian hostage crisis at hand. And the majority of the American public very much wanted Carter out.)

Rather we dread it or look forward to it, Obama's role right now is to staff his administration, and I like that he's making this his focus right now. (Personally, I think it's crucial given his lack of political experience.) A good leader surrounds himself with bright minds and he knows how and when to delegate. There are very few people in this country that you can find that like Obama less than I do, but I honestly think he made the right decision. Plus, like Madge pointed out, he may not have been invited! :-)
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 6:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• and HAD he gone he would have been criticized for overstepping his bounds.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2008