progesterone levels

I'm sure the actual reference ranges are different for all labs, but does anybody know about what progesterone level should be at in early pregnancy? With my last successful pregnancy (after 2 miscarriages) I had to be on progesterone suppositories. Just wondering what number I should be shooting for this time around. Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I think my doctor wanted mine to be at least 20, but 50 or higher would have been better. Even with the suppositories mine dropped down to 4 at around 4 weeks, and I started bleeding. I'd had a miscarriage before and assumed it was happening again, but I switched to injections at that point hoping it would help. My progesterone was up over 60 within two days of starting the injections and the bleeding stopped. If you are pregnant and have low progesterone, you might ask your doctor about progesterone injections. GL!

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I just got a call and they said it was 15, so I have a rx for progesterone suppositories... she actually asked me if I wanted them or not, because she said it will likely "be ok" ... ummm,. yes - I want everything to help keep that little peanut in there! It worked last time with ds, so if I start having problems, I'll ask about the injections! Thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think they told me mine should be 20 because I was already using the suppositories. I just looked at a couple of websites and they all pretty much said above 9 or 10 was considered ok in very early pregnancy if you weren't already medicated, though a little higher is better. 15 is definitely above 9 or 10, so that sounds good. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I started them when my level dropped from 20 to 15. I, too, had just come off of my second miscarriage so I didn't argue. I don't know what is ok....all I knew was that nothing should be dropping until delivery time! Good luck to you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 6:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would opt for the injections anyway. That way you know all the medication is in your body. Hated suppositories because they always leaked out on me.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Some docs want to see over 20, others want to see over 15.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2011