How do I get my 2 year old to eat something other than bread

My ds will only eat bread products. And although I know that this is not healthy I can't get him to eat anything else. He is the type that could go the whole day without eating and not even notice. Food is just not that important to him. HELP!!!

iluvmybabies11

Asked by iluvmybabies11 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Offer him healthy foods and plenty of variety. If he does not eat don't worry. He will not starve. Don't make meal time a battle. Be consistent and offer a good choice of healthy stuff which, of course, includes bread sometimes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Do you have any ideas of meals that might make him more interested?
    iluvmybabies11

Comment by iluvmybabies11 (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• What we did to get our son to eat something other than bread wsa we put something on the bread...he LOVES PB
    KnitWit0686

Answer by KnitWit0686 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would just eliminate bread altogether. He will eat something if he is hungry. My 2 year old went through a phase where she wouldn't eat anything but fruit. When fruit was taken off the table, she started eating other things as well. It took her a few days, but she was hungry enough that she gave in!

A few ideas to offer are fruits, veggies and dairy products. Many times I can't get my daughter to eat an regular "meal" so I give her cheese cubes, some carrots and some strawberries in yogurt. She thinks it is a real treat! LOL
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 3:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I like the idea of adding things to yogurt, he does like yogurt. My doctor said that I shouldn't worry if he doesn't eat regular meals because some kids just like to graze, but i have been concerned about veggies. I usually give him some every meal, but they always are left on his plate. It may sound gross, but the one time i got him to eat some, was i made him a pb sandwich and put really thinly sliced beans in the pb and he ate it....but i don't want to do that every time.
    iluvmybabies11

Comment by iluvmybabies11 (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I agree with only offering healthy choices and then not bugging him about eating, but you could make some breads with veggies in in - zucchini bread, carrot bread, etc. I found some recipes for stuff like that online when my oldest went through that phase.

Answer by missanc at 3:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Quit giving him bread. He'll eat when he gets hungry.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I have definatly limited the bread. I just get worried about his weight...
    iluvmybabies11

Comment by iluvmybabies11 (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs (or, in your case, bread).
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating them again.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Be sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods

Answer by rkoloms at 5:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2011