how do i begin moving from one state to another

my child father and I are trying to get a place togehter but dont really know where to start. he currnetly lives in the state that I will move to but we realy dont know how to make it come together .. what should be on the checklist ...how much money should be saved ...any suggestions would be helpful ...thanks

amiyamom08

Asked by amiyamom08 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• First off have all of your medical records and your kids' medical records forwarded to a doctor. If they are school make sure you get all that transferred. If the kids were not born where you are moving to you should get copies of birth certificates. Yours included. You never know when you will need them. Check with movers on costs. Figure mileage and gas. Consider food costs while moving.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 2:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Unless you have big bucks, don't move a bunch of stuff in a moving company long distances. Too expensive. Sell all and get new there. If y ou can pack your things, rent a truck and drive and not across country, then that might be workable. It could be $85-100 a day for truck rental and some gas as well. Gas is expensive now. If you are only moving to the next state over, and you know someone who can store your stuff in a basement (like Mom), then you could take what you really need and get the other stuff another time or rent a trailer (cheaper than a truck) to move a couple of loads if you can get there in 1 day, unload and get back the next. That could be as low as $20-40 a day and no gas except for your car (and rental of a hitch if you don't have one). Can he afford housing and food until you can get a job? If not, might want to find a job first. Write agreeemnt to split cost of move since you are going there.
    Sweet_Carol_126

Answer by Sweet_Carol_126 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I was wondering the same thing. I am in the same situation actually.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2011