Is it wrong to throw your own baby shower?

I wasnt planning on having one but my MIL told me she was having one for me and wanted me to help with the planning. However everytime I try to get together with her to plan she's not interested in doing anything, so far I will be doing all the cooking cleaning and decorating and planning, so it feels like I'm throwing my own shower wich realy makes me feel kinda sad. I'm really thinking about just telling her i don't want one.

dorsey3

Asked by dorsey3 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do, and babies aren't cheap! I know you must feel really bad about it, but with your best foot forward you can throw yourself a nice shower and not feel bad about it. This sounds really bad, but my sister threw me a baby shower for my 1st pregnancy and I wasn't too happy with it... it just wasn't planned, the food, decor, seating, etc wasn't ready when the guests got to the house. My husband had to leave to pick up a cake and supplies.... it just wasn't organized. At the end of the day, it turned out ok, but I know I would've planned it better. At least you can have the control I didn't have... you can plan the theme, the games, and it may be stressful at first but as guests start showing up you can kind of appoint someone to help you with the games. I think Bobbysgurl had a great suggestion of having your SO pitch in. Guys always have reservations about going to baby showers but they
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 3:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• That's too bad. Can you talk to her about it? It's not wrong to plan your own shower, especially under these circumstances. Sorry she is being a butt.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Personally I think it's tacky, but at least her name will be one the invitation as the one throwing the shower.

Answer by missanc at 3:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• That does seem kinda crappy, honestly i would do one of two things, either A. tell her you dont want one or B. enlist your husband/SO's, or if you have a sister in law or even a sister of your own, to see if they would help and kinda see if they could free you up on the responsibitily...its not uncommon for two family members one from each family to plan it and if you have a sister or good close girl cousin it would work to open up to them about the situation, im sure they would help you out. I did sorta help my mom plan my baby shower, but she did all of the work, she just asked me for my opinion on decorations and food lol. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:00 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• (continued from above)
    get a lot of attention being either the only guy or the "daddy to be" and actually really enjoy themselves. You can give him the job of hosting or getting the games going... guys like to play games, right?! Either way, don't feel too bad. The point is to have people over to celebrate this new chapter in your life and gift you things you really need for the baby.
    msp12r

Answer by msp12r at 3:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2011