How do I politelty ask my mom to stop giving my 18 month old junk food?

My mom babysits my children and she gives my oldest, 18 months junk food for snacks and at at breakfast, eventhouh we have lots of healthy food for him. How do I politely ask her to stop without making her mad and want to stop babysitting?

angmarie0925

Asked by angmarie0925 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would prepare a calendar of meals for the day, and tell her that you have grocery shopped specifically for these meals to be fed. I wouldn't even say anything about the junk, just encourage the meals you have listed. It might help you avoid a fight!
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• He's your child and you get to make the rules about what he eats. Tell her flat out that he is not allowed to eat the junk she feeds him.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:59 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• good luck, let me know your sucess on this one, your not alone ill tell you that, my mom seems to think that part of being a grandmother she gets to do all the stuff as a mother she couldnt/wouldnt do, like give my kid extra junk food and then send him home, laughing the whole time that she doesnt have to be the one to deal with an oversugared child who never really gets sugar, draw on his hands stars and suns with red ink cuz he loves it and im stuck scrubbing it off, the list goes on., my own grandmother did all this too me to, it must run in the family. Sigh, im still questioning both their sanities lol but needless to say, my mother doesnt babysit very often, she has babysat twice in two years but she still does it when we come to visit!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Tell her the doc said no more junk because it's making baby fat/hyper/sick/insert your choice here. Put it on the doc. If that doesn't work, BE RUDE. Better to lose a bad sitter, you know? She's being rude herself.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• yeah but shes my free sitter while i work 8 to 10 hours 5-6 days a week.
    angmarie0925

Comment by angmarie0925 (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'd personally be honest. I'd tell her how appreciative I was of everything she does for me, and how much my son enjoys spending time with his grandma, but I didn't like all the junk food he was getting. You don't have to be rude to your mother, she's just trying to spoiling her grandchild like most other grandparents on the planet, but you are mom and you do get to make the rules. Just be honest, yet tactful and appreciative. And be honest with yourself, I don't know a grandmother that won't try to sneak a child candy or junk once in awhile, but if its in excess ask her to cut back. Only 1 candy a day, or only 1 snack like chips etc. It's not going to hurt your child to get a few chips as a snack at it'll make her feel good.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• good luck! my son's four and she never listened to me! she says it's what grandma's do!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Find a new babysitter

Answer by rkoloms at 5:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Ask her if she loves her grandson. Hopefully she'll say yes. Then, ask her if she wants him to be healthy and happy or sick all the time and possibly have educational problems. Hopefully she'll say that she wants him to be healthy. Then, tell her that if she really wants him to be healthy she really needs to stop giving him junk food. If she really cares about him she will do the right thing and what is best for him. This really has nothing to do with you or her but what is best for him.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I've sort of come to terms that grandparents and diets are a lost cause. My dad continuously tries to give my daughter soda. When he does it in front of me I'll say, "No soda, Grandpa!" And he laughs and says "I'm sorry baby. Mumma says no." But I have a feeling if I'm not around, he doesn't stick to it..
    Bubbles318

Answer by Bubbles318 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 28, 2011