Is it ok to drink coffee while pregnant?

So I'm now on my 3rd pregnancy. I have a 4 yr old, a 1 yr old and I'm about 4 months pregnant with my 3rd. With my first 2 pregnancies I completely stopped drinking coffee because I didn't want to expose my baby to caffeine. I also stopped drinking soda almost completely. With this pregnancy, I have to admit that I'm just soooooo drained. My energy level just isn't what it used to be and I strongly believe it's because I've had my pregnancies so close together. My kids are all going to be about 2 years apart. I feel like this baby is sucking whatever nutrients I had left in my body from the previous pregnancies. I tried to stop drinking coffee this pregnancy, but with all the responsibilities I have with my 2 kids it's so hard to get the energy to do what I have to do. I've been drinking 1 cup of coffee with breakfast almost every morning... I feel so guilty about this. Why can't I just do without? I just want to know if anyone else has had about the same amount of coffee during their pregnancy and if everything turned out ok? I just want to add that I eat healthy, I take my vitamin every day and I used to exercise everyday, but stopped when the morning sickness got really bad this pregnancy. I need to get back into it now that my morning sickness is subsiding and hopefully I start getting some energy back. Thanks in advance for any responses.

msp12r

Asked by msp12r at 3:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You can drink a few cups of coffee a day. I mix mine with half milk to get my daily requirement of calcium in there, too. You can sneak your calcium into your coffee very easily that way, and feel much less guilty while drinking it.
    You can't compensate for pregnancy tired. As much as you'd like to think a little coffee will help, you'll still be dog tired. I'd suggest only doing the necessary stuff. (Kids are fed, diapers changed, kids are alive- job well done.) You'll eventually get that kick of energy the second trimester brings. Then you'll be dog tired again. In a year, you'll get back to a new normal. So, rest, relax, enjoy your coffee, and know you're doing a good job.
    (If it makes you feel better, I'm on my 4th pregnancy and my kids are 4, 3, and 18 months. The furthest spacing will be this one, at 23 months apart. I feel your brand of tired. There is no cure.)
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 9:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• it depends on how big the cup is ;)

my doctor told me no more than 300 mg a day
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i never stoped drinking soda and my kids are just fine so just talk to your doctor
    april_f

Answer by april_f at 3:16 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Mine said it was fine just not to overdo caffeine intake. If you are talking about a cup or two then I dont think there is a problem. Anyone who overdoes it with caffeine is at risk though for problems. Dont go chugging a whole pot or a 12 pack of mountain dew or anything and I think you will be ok.

Answer by gemgem at 3:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Talk to your doctor. Mine said that under 150 mg of caffeine a day was fine.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:12 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yep. I drank 2 cups a day. I did not, however, consume ANY more caffeine than that. I think it's 200 milligrams a day is the limit. You have to keep it under that, though.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• lol all our doctors said something different
    pookipoo

• I had to work and go to college full time while I was pregnant and I felt the same way. I picked the one time in the day when I was always tired and that is when I would have my one caffeine a day. My son is perfectly healthy now, smart as can be, no adhd issues. One cup a day is fine. And the scientists have not found any conclusive evidence that caffeine is harmful yet. I would also drink diet caffeine free pop. It gave me the placebo effect so I still had a little more energy. Calm down what you are doing is fine, not harmful.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 3:23 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• yes, just don't overdo it.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 7:06 PM on Jan. 27, 2011