Tips on sewing & making stuff

I have been trying to find a hobby,lol. I am wanting to get a sewing machine I have never used one, not sure which one to get( mu hubby has used one before so he says he will show me,and he says its not hard).I probaly will get a used one, is there anything I should check on it to make sure it works good???

I am wanting to redo my son's room in the hunting,camo,fishing, & outdoors theme. I was looking at Bass Pro & some other stores and its just way to much money.So I am trying to go cheap lol.I wanna make curtains ,some bedding stuff, and maybe something to go on the wall or just extra stuff to match, I am just not sure what else to do. Any ideas would be great .

Thanks

IloveJesus316

Asked by IloveJesus316 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would not buy a used machine if you can avoid it. Look online for machines and see if you can afford a new one. Some are very reasonable. Then go to stores like Sears and take a look at what they have. Do not let the salesman pressure you into anything other than the basic machine. I used a basic Sears for years. Then look at the owner's manual and go through it page by page and learn about your machine. Sew on some scraps of fabric to practice. There are boks like sewing for dummies that can be very helpful and some fabric stores have reasonably priced sewing lessons (Jo Ann's Fabrics, etc). Also there are patterns for beginners. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Sears - and I think they even offer classes along with a purchased machine ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Great advice from PP's.

Go for the Free Lessons! Also, you can get patterns for all kinds of home dec' stuff. JoAnn's has them on sale every month. Sign up for their flyers so you know when the sales are, and get extra coupons for more savings. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Thanks everyone :)
    IloveJesus316

Comment by IloveJesus316 (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I'm going to message you a copy of the hand out I give my sewing students when they ask me about buying a sewing machine.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:10 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• To me, the hardest part about learning to sew was learning to thread the machine. If you have an old or used machine, you can take it to a sewing machine shop and let them service it. They should also be able to show you how to thread it, since it may not have a manual with it anymore.
    Curtains are a great intro to sewing. Straight lines. Nothing complicated. Joann.com has several free patterns available online (duvet covers, bed spreads, pillow cases, throw pillows, etc.). You can also find some really awesome free tutorials.
    Just make sure you buy a seam ripper. You want to easily be able to rip out your mistakes and try again.
    Get sewing! You'll get better with each project. Before you know it, you'll be able to sew anything you can think of.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 10:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2011