opposite gender bathing together?

At what age is it inappropriate for children to bath together? My son loves taking baths with his aunt, who's 9, and he's 5. Usually we don't make a habit out of it but if she's over on bath nights they both like playing together. He also takes a bath with his cousin who's 4. I don't have any issues with it because neither of the kids in both cases feel awkward or make comments, and neither do the parents of the other children. But it just got me wondering, let him bathe with whomever he wants till someone feels awkward, or is there an age cut off? Usually now he bathes or showers alone, but if we're in a hurry I still have him shower with me to save time, so he's use to always bathing with girls.

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• I guess it does depend on what you are comfortable with. I know my DD is 9 and she would take a bath with her 3 year old cousin, although she does not take baths with her brothers and she hasn't in a long time. I really think it depends on what the kids and parents are comfortable with.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• My son who is now 3 was bathing with his girl cousin who was 9 until this year because she starting getting hair down there and growing boob and didn't feel comfortbale with US being around her naked.. I am still sure she'd have no problem bathing with Max but I am not comfortable not being there in the bath with him yet
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think it's fine until they begin to understand their body more... I'm sure he understands he is different from you, but doesn't understand why, and doesn't associate sex with it yet. I think 10 is a good cut off age. Or until they begin making comments about it, whichever comes first.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:26 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I think until one of the kids gets old enough to be sensitive about it, it's OK.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i still bathe my kids together sometimes, they're 4 and 1 (unless one or both are really dirty) but that will change when the eldest (dd) can bathe herself
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I've always gone with the rule of thumb being until one kid is uncomfortable with it.
    My son bathed with his sisters until he was like 7 and they were 8 and 6 (mostly with the younger one). I actually stopped them not because they were opposite genders but because they made a huge mess in the bathroom when they bathed together. They shared a room so they were changing in front of each other every day. They are now 8, 9 and 10 and don't bathe together but they have no problems changing in front of each other (not that they purposefully do it but if they have no other option they don't care).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't know that there is a perfect cut-off age, but I'd definitely stop before either child starts puberty. My 3 1/2 year old boy/girl twins bathe together, but I expect to be separating them by the time they start to kindergarten...or at least by the time they are old enough for sleepovers. It's not because I think there is anything wrong with it, but I'd like for them to learn some modesty before then and at this point they both think it's the funniest thing in the world to run around naked or take their clothes off for no apparent reason.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thanks ladies, I already believed what most of you wrote, but it calmed my curiosity knowing people agree with me!
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2011