Teenager Discipline Problems

I have a 14 yr old whom has problems behaving in school. Atleast once a week I receive an email from a teacher..We have tried everything at home including taking everything but, the bed, dresser, desk and clothes. Any other ideas...Help!

mzking

Asked by mzking at 3:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would try talking to him/her and seeing what is going on. I do believe in positive reinforcement so instead of always getting in trouble you reward them for good behavior. Possibly look into getting counseling for him/her and seeing if that helps. I understand it is hard, although if they are always getting in trouble there is no reason to ever be good.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Cornflakegirl3 Thanks for the insight. I have tried that too and it does not work. I think counseling is the answer, so I will check into that . Thanks
    mzking

Comment by mzking (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would ask him/her if there is something going on. sometimes kids act up to cover something else up, to get away from a pre existing problem, with friends, peer pressure, grades, drugs, even things like having issues like dyslexia and/ or vision problems. Itll be hard to get your 14 year old to talk perhaps, but tell your kid that its ok to talk to you and that you can help him/her figure out the answer to the problem, and if they dont want to talk and/or dont have a reason say that your not gonna stand for their behavior and perhaps getting the teacher to agree to detention after school might help? No one wants to be stuck at school for longer than they have to! An hour to a 14 year old is like an eternity!!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Thanks bobbysgurl....She got a after school detention it doesnt bother her she is in them atleast once a week.
    mzking

Comment by mzking (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would talk to her and try to figure out what is going on with her. Like Bobby'sgurl said kids can act up for a number of reasons, including things like vision problems or learning disabilities. Something's I'd check with the teacher is : When does this behavior start? (same time every day, same subject, what happened before she acted up, what was the immediate consequence) I found with my son he likes to talk (ALOT) that it was worse after lunch, so the teacher decided when they came in from lunch she'd give the entire class an 10 minutes to calm themselves and move on, it worked. So that would be my first question (when is it happening, what is the common denomiator here). What is going on her life (school trouble, friend trouble etc).
    Counseling might be a good avenue to explore as well. It's hard to fix an issue if you don't know the cause, if the cause is deep enough, rewards/punishment won't work.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Positive praise!!!!!! Make his work at school the main topic for awhile. Invite his friends over. If he refuses to talk about school and friends maybe theres a problem there he is afraid to discuss!!
    MommaJerrie

Answer by MommaJerrie at 5:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• I was having similar problems with DD and we took her to see a psychologist and found out she has ADHD. This year she is on meds and is a completely different child at school. She went from C & D's to A's & B's. I would take him to see a psychologist.
    Sonshiner

Answer by Sonshiner at 2:59 AM on Jan. 29, 2011

• Saturday detention should cure her/him.
    diamondsarecool

Answer by diamondsarecool at 10:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2011