When do kids know right from wrong?

I'm just curious. Evidently there are people who think it's much later than I do and I'm just curious how many.

Asked by missanc at 3:20 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• my son knows when he is doing something that he shouldnt be and he is 19 months.....in my opinion it just depends on when you teach your children.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• When you teach them right from wrong. It's a learned behavior.
    Anonymous

• In the most simple form? Toddler stage.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I fully believe around 9-10 children truly understand right from wrong. I think before the age of 5 a child does something solely because they like it or don't like it, not because they understand the concept. They're going off of good and bad which is different then right from wrong. By about age 7-8 they have a better grasp on the concept, but they do right more to avoid punishment then the full understanding of why. They won't hit because they know they will get punished, but they don't understand fully why its not ok to hit. I think around 9-10 a child truly starts understanding right and wrong, and the why involved and starts making decisions based on this knowledge and understanding rather then fear of punishment or good and bad.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2011