Tweenagers grades

Just want some suggestions on how to deal with an 11 year old for bringing home 5 C's and 1 D, however she got an A in conduct. Grades are always a problem for her.

getupsteph

Asked by getupsteph at 3:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ground her until she gets her grades up to A's and B's. We ground my son for C's until he brings a note home from his teacher saying the grade is up.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• HAVE HER INCREASE HER STUDY TIME AT HOME. WHEN MY CHILDREN START TO DO POORLY IN SCHOOL, I HAVE THEM SIT FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR AT THE TABLE AND DO SCHOOL WORK, IF THEY SAY THEY DON'T HAVE ANY, THEN I TELL THEM TO REVIEW WHAT WAS TAUGHT TO THEM AT SCHOOL THAT DAY. I ALSO WON'T LET THEM GO ANYWHERE ON THE WEEKEND IF THEY CONTINUE TO DO POORLY IN SCHOOL. JUST GET HER IN THE HABIT OF WORKING HARD.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 4:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• I'm not one of those parents that really get's upset about grades... Talk to her and find out what's going on... but those are all passing grades. If you push her to hard she might just quit all together like I did... You don't want that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• It depends a LOT on whether that is the best she can do. My guess is probably not. Most teachers will modify for kids who genuinely can not do any better than a D.
    Sounds like she needs a little push.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 8:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2008

• my daughter is nine and she has straight A's and I believe is because as soon as she gets home from school homework no tv no phone no computer, also she is in an advanced class, she is into soccer and basketball we told her if your grades drop no sports and she plays 2 sports aleast 4-5 days a week, I am very strict about the grades my husband not so much I do not accept C's,if she brings home a c I tell her to bring it back to school and ask her teacher how to bring the grade up, I think I am so strict with her because my parents were not and I want her to succeed in life better than I did, maybe something is going on at scool bullying, kids in class distracting maybe having a meeting with teachers and see if they can help her don't let it go it will hurt her in the long run
    buppasmom

Answer by buppasmom at 4:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Are grades always a problem because she struggles, or because she is lazy? Those are two different problems.

If she struggles I would help get to before/after school tutoring and NOT punish her for doing her best.

If it is because she is lazy I would probably limit her "play" time and haver her focus more on studying. It is hard to be too hard on her if she has always had poor grades. It would not be fair to all of the sudden come down on her.
    Crazy-Steph

Answer by Crazy-Steph at 4:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• have her tested to see where she falls in her grade level, most schools will or have to test her, ask for a round table meeting with her teacher and the resource team, SST student support team is what its called here were we live, she may just have testing issues and they can work with that, it needs to be looked at before she advances to middle and high school. It may not be anything she can fix on her own without some help from the pros. Good luck.
    victoria330

Answer by victoria330 at 9:16 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Our DD is a straight-A student. Occasionally she starts letting her grades slip and so we promised her that if she stays on the President's Honor Roll all year, she will be able to go to horse riding camp this summer. We did the same last year. She did and we followed through. She loved it! So she is working very hard at keeping those grades up. Just give your DD something to look forward to if the grades meet your expectations. (Just don't make the expectations too high for her to achieve them.)
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 1:29 PM on Dec. 6, 2008