How can you vaccinate against a bacteria?

I thought my 5 year old had pertussis so I took her into her doctor. I asked my doctor it was possible to vaccinate against a bacteria(pertussis is a bacteria) and she didn't even know the answer. Wtf?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Doesn't the P in the DPT shot stand for Pertussis?
    Anonymous

• Yes, and that's what got the conversation going. Cause she said once you have the shot it's rare to get whooping cough, but unlike viruses our bodies can get the same bacteria over and over. That's what I don't understand.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• i think they inject dead and beaten bacteria into the blood stream, the white blood cells "fight" the dead bacteria and you are immune
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• See how a virus works is that when the virus enters into our body, our t-cells attack it, fight it and then mimic the virus so that we have life time immunity.
    A bacteria doesn't offer that same immunity. You can get strep over and over and over and not have the same immunity like you would if you had the chickenpox.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yea but immunity to bacteria doesn't really last or may not exist that is what she is speaking of only viruses give you full immunity. It is weird i selectively van and this was one i did get for him because its such a horrible disease yet now u have me wondering lol.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/pertussis_parent.html
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• exactly it doesn't fully protect and you would have to get the shot every now and then. Very different from the way viral vaccines work.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Hmmm...? Really good question and observation!
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Hmmm...?
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2011

• Interesting question ...bump!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 11:19 AM on Jan. 28, 2011