How does a first time mom deal with this new season of life?

This is the first time in my life I have not either worked full time and/or gone to school, and since I became pregnant in July of last year I have only been working part time in the afternoons and evenings teaching privately. I am having a really hard time adapting to being alone all day as all my friends and husband work full time during the day. I have recently joined a moms group at my church so I am starting to reach out to other women like me, but in the mean time while relationships are still being built I still struggle alot with what to do with myself. I also realize that things will be different once baby arrives in April, but it's just the last couple of months that are really difficult to get through the days.What are some pointers from other moms who experienced or are experiencing this new season of life and how you got through it to see things differently and more positively?

erikital

Asked by erikital at 3:31 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I totally undestand because when my 3rd child was born I started staying home and I had 3 children under the age of 5 and no friends that stayed home like I did. For me it was a little different because I had 3 children so my days were filled with kids. I do agree once the baby comes it will be easier, although you may still crave adult interaction. For me joining play groups and talking with other moms really helped. Right now I would look at things you like to do, for me I start crafting again and I got back into photography. Also, I love to read so I read alot and I also kept a journal of this time in my life.

Good Luck and know that at some point in the future you may look back and be thankful for this quiet time!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I'm experiencing this now. I'm 38 weeks pregnant with my first baby. I have also been working part time the majority of my pregnancy. I get bored sometimes too. But I try to keep thinking in a short time, I won't have much time to myself for a while. So I'm trying to use this valuable alone time to my full advantage by watching my favorite movies, catching up on housework, listening to music, researching baby info on the web or reading books so I'll be as prepared as possible, and relaxing without guilt. Because very soon I will not have nearly as much time to do much. So my advice is just enjoy the quiet time you have while you can! Good luck!
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Kelli,
    relaxing without guilt is such a challenge for such as me who seems to be hard wired to always be doing something!! Don't you ever get sick of relaxing all day???
    erikital

Comment by erikital (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I don't relax all day. I just recently went on my leave from work. Tuesday was my last day. But I don't just lay around all day. I have been shopping for baby stuff a lot, sanitizing everything, keeping the house clean, cooking, all the things I usually do. But since I'm near the end and almost done with all of the preparation, I'm trying to take it easy before the baby gets here. Because I know if I don't, I'll regret it later. Even though you can't be around people a lot doesn't render you useless. There is a lot to be accomplished before you bring a new baby home. You still have a lot of time before your baby gets here... Enjoy it!
    Kelli1012

Answer by Kelli1012 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• relax woman, relax i say! there will never be a whole day to yourself again. ever. ever. ever evr ever lol. it might seem hard to do now but maybe making a list of things you want to do or short term goals might help and try to do as many as possible.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 5:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It is a challenge. I hate to say it, but it gets worse when the baby is born. At least for the first few weeks (or months). You feel stuck at home. You feel like your life stopped and everyone else's is moving on. It is a difficult transition. One thing, try not to loose yourself. It is easy for a new mom to forget all about herself and focus entirely on baby. Now is the time to really make sure you stay you. Read the books you enjoy. Watch the movies you want to watch. It isn't a bad time, it is just an adjustment, and it won't be the last. In five years from now, you'll be on here asking what to do with your time now that your little one is starting Kindergarten. You'll be fine. You are doing something more important than any job you've ever had. Becoming a mom is a permanent, life long thing. You'll never not be a mother again. And you'll be a great one.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 8:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2011