At what age did you put your child in a booster seat?

By booster seat, I mean the seat you put in the car. My son will be 4 in March and weighs 36 pounds (possibly more since he hasn't been weighed in a while), so I'm wondering if he's almost ready for one.

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• im not sure the weight limit but i know its 4 years in order to not need a carseat legally
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 3:37 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• 4 years and 40 lbs to be legal.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I would say keep him in the carseat as long as you can. I believe the law is 40 lbs, but my car seat goes up to 65 lbs and I know that I will keep him in it as long as possible. The 5 point harness on a car seat is much safer than just using the booster. My son will be 5 in May and I think he only weighs 35 to 38 lbs.
    jwickum

Answer by jwickum at 3:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• I noticed when I was shopping around for booster seats, different brands had different requirements.  One would say "such and such height and such and such weight", the next one I looked at would be different.  I just picked out a carseat based on the height and weight requirements. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• It depends on the state you live in. Each state has different carseat laws. Some are standard though. It's 40lbs. I put my son in a backless booster when he was just about 4. Whether it's a backless or not all depends on the type of car you have. If you have one where you have a headrest that he can reach then you can go backless. It's sometimes based on preference. I hope this helps you!
    marnejones22

Answer by marnejones22 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Yup, 4 years old and 40lbs. But if your car seat will allow it, it's safer to keep them in a 5 point harness until their shoulders are higher than the straps.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Both my kids have the evenflo symphony car seats. 5-100lbs... They will be in them until they are too tall for the straps.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:44 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• just looked up my state laws, and am disappointed that there is no mandatory law in place for booster seats, just "strongly suggested", however, it is mandatory for adults to wear seatbelts. kind of stupid, isn't it?

our law states children 3 and under must be in the appropriate safety seat. 4 and up "should" sit in a carseat with and wear a seatbelt, but not required.

my 4 year old is in a booster seat. i plan to leave her in it for a few more years.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6672063_booster-seat-requirements-florida.html

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• All states have different laws so look up your state law, but in general car seat professionals recommend leaving children rear facing and forward facing in 5 point harnesses as long as they fit the car seat requirements. In our house that meant my kids were rear facing until 2.5 years old and now at 3.5 and 5.5 they are both still in 5 point harnesses though the 5.5 year old is almost too tall. Once done with the 5 point harness his seat becomes a belt positioning booster and then a backless booster and he will stay in both those until he reaches the limit for his seat. I could care less what the law says the minimum is.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2011

• Law around here is 4 years and 40 pounds. My 3.5 year old is only 29 pounds, so she'll probably be 5 before she reaches the 40 pound minimum. She will stay harnessed for as long as possible.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 4:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2011